Assistant Electrical Engineer - Power Enterprise - SFPUC (5203) (118036)
Published: September 22, 2022
Accepting applications until: October 07, 2022
Contact:Anna Owens - AOwens@sfwater.org
Apply using SmartRecruiters, the City and County of San Francisco's application portal Learn More
- Application Opening: July 8, 2022
- Application Filing Deadline: October 7, 2022 (*filing deadline extended to broaden the applicant pool)
- Annual Salary: $112,762-137,072
APPOINTMENT TYPE: Temporary Exempt: This position is excluded by the Charter from the competitive Civil Service examination process and shall serve at the discretion of the Appointing Officer. The duration of the appointment shall not exceed 36 months
WHO ARE WE?
San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC)
Headquartered in San Francisco, we have 2,300 employees operating across eight counties serving more than 2.7 million customers in the San Francisco Bay Area – 24 hours per day, 365 days per year.
Our Mission: To provide our customers with high quality, efficient, and reliable water, power, and wastewater services in a manner that values environmental and community interests and sustains the resources entrusted to our care.
Our Vision: We are an innovative utility leader, recognized for excellent results in service, safety, stewardship, and inclusiveness.
We are an award-winning and industry-leading utilities organization committed to our customers, community interests, and the environment. To learn more about our organization, please visit our website at https://www.sfpuc.org/.
We are proud of our infrastructure and programs, but most importantly, we value our highly qualified and dedicated workforce which ensures that this vision becomes a reality.
To learn more about working at the SFPUC, visit our career site at https://www.sfpuc.org/about-us/careers-sfpuc
Project: Distribution Services Retail Customers, Redevelopment Projects
Working for the Redevelopment Group of the SFPUC Power Enterprise, this position will assist senior electrical engineers to (a) provide electrical engineering and technical support to the master planning, design, and construction of new electric service and distribution systems for new developments and Redevelopment Projects within the City, such as Hunters Point Shipyard, Candlestick Point, Treasure Island, Pier 70, Sunnydale and Potrero HOPE, Mission Rock; (b) ensure compliance with the SFPUC's Rules and Regulations for Electric Service and wholesale distribution tariff (WDT); (c) manage the service application process; (d) review utility electric system impact and facility study reports and service contract agreements; and (e) implement a monitoring program to ensure that the facility-specific electric use and performance meet local, state, and federal requirements and electric service contracts.
• Provide technical and engineering support in the planning and design of SFPUC-owned electric utility distribution and services Manage requests for electric service interconnections;
• Review and analyze electric service contracts for new development and Redevelopment projects in accordance with applicable tariffs and codes, Franchise Agreement, and Wholesale Distribution Tariff;
• Contribute to the development of the SFPUC's Rules and Regulations for Electric Service, guidelines, and standards for electric service and distribution systems;
• Review, analyze, and improve the electric service connection process from application, contracting, construction, operation and maintenance of City electrical projects;
• Support and manage renewable energy interconnections and system interface for new development and Redevelopment projects;
• Assist in the preparation of engineering contract documents, resolve disputes and claims; prepare engineering designs, drawings and specifications;
• Analyze and solve complex engineering and process related problems;
• Review and approve correspondence, reports and other related documents;
• Conduct meetings and prepare and provide presentations;
• Other duties as assigned.
How to qualify
If you are interested in a job like this, we are looking for people that have the following:
1. a. Possession of a baccalaureate degree or graduate degree from an engineering program with a major in the field of study related to the specialty area defined for each position.
Electrical: Electrical Engineering
b. One (1) year of verifiable professional engineering experience performing at least three of the following tasks:
a. Preparing or assisting in preparing studies, designs, drawings, sketches, and plans using AutoCAD and other software tools
b. Collecting data to assess project needs and define project scope through site visits, surveying, review of existing documents, reports, drawing and manuals, performing measurements, collecting samples, or/and interviews with the stakeholders.
c. Preparing or assisting in the preparation of contract specifications, lists of materials, cost estimates, schedules, and progress payments.
d. Preparing or assisting in the preparation of engineering reports and reports concerning field conditions, the progress of projects, the results of studies, and other matters.
e. Conducting data analyses and mathematical calculations, in order to determine type or size of material or equipment.
f. Conducting routine field inspections of construction and repair projects in progress to ensure conformance with plans, specifications and codes; checks and records work progress at various construction sites.
Note: Internships, drafting experience and student design work do not qualify as professional engineering experience.
c. Possession of a valid Engineer-in-Training (EIT) certificate issued by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES).
2. Possession of a Professional Engineer (PE) license in the field required for each specialty from the California Board of Professional Engineers, Land Surveyors and Geologists.
The stated desirable qualifications may be considered at the end of the selection process when candidates are referred for hiring.
· Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (BSEE)
· Valid driver’s license
Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirement by the final filing date unless otherwise noted.
Verification of Education and Experience:
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. More information can be found at: https://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process#verification
What else should I know?
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
- Information About The Hiring Process
- Conviction History
- Employee Benefits Overview
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Disaster Service Worker
- ADA Accommodation
- Right to Work
- Copies of Application Documents
- Diversity Statement
HOW TO APPLY
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit https://careers.smartrecruiters.com/CityAndCountyOfSanFrancisco1/ and begin the application process.
· Select the “I’m Interested” button and follow instructions on the screen
Applicants may be contacted by email about this recruitment and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org, @famsf.org, @ccsf.edu, @smartalerts.info, and @smartrecruiters.com).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
Job Analyst Information: If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the job analyst, Anna Owens, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT: All City and County of San Francisco employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Someone is fully vaccinated when 14 days have passed since they received the final dose of a two-shot vaccine or a dose of a one-shot vaccine. Any new hire must present proof of full vaccination status to be appointed. Any new hire who will be routinely assigned or occasionally enter High-Risk Settings, must provide proof of having received a COVID-19 booster vaccine by March 1, 2022, or once eligible.
The City and County of San Francisco encourages women, minorities and persons with disabilities to apply. Applicants will be considered regardless of their sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (associated with cancer, a history of cancer, or genetic characteristics), HIV/AIDS status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, or other protected category under the law.