Principal Applications Programmer - IS Business Analyst PBT-1054-127781
Published: December 21, 2022
Contact:Eliot Watt - Eliot.Watt@sfdph.org
Apply using SmartRecruiters, the City and County of San Francisco's application portal Learn More
Job class: 1054-IS Business Analyst-Principal
Salary range: $136,162.00 - $193,830.00
Role type: Permanent Civil Service What does this mean?
Exam type: Position Based Test
Rule: Rule of 10 What does this mean?
List type: Combined Promotive and Entrance
The San Francisco Department of Public Health’s Information Technology Department is the technology services provider within Public Health, delivering technology infrastructure and services to approximately 10,000 users within the organization to help support over 100,000 patients annually.
This is a Permanent Civil Service career opportunity for a Principal Applications Programmer - IS Business Analyst.
- Annual Compensation
$136,612 - $171,288
- Application Deadline
On or after December 25, 2022
- ✔️Start Here-Required Questionnaire
Under the Application Development Team Manager, the Applications Programmer will provide application support for various internally developed applications built in various platforms as well as act as lead on our API evaluation project. The team is currently focused on three main projects:
- Decommissioning of various web-based applications. Some of these applications are built in Classic ASP and some in Oracle. The candidate would be responsible for evaluating the user-need for a solution through various conversations with the user base and determining if the solution is viable for replacement. If deemed viable for replacement, the candidate will then need to determine if the current solution will be replaced by a vendor-hosted solution that we already own or one that needs to be procured OR if the solution needs to be developed internally. Most of our internally developed web-based solutions are developed in .NET and we are starting to investigate low-code solutions like PowerApps. Other tools that we are currently supporting in our development portfolio include ASP runner, Microsoft Forms, and a few API solutions.
- Remediation of unsupported platforms. We have remediated the majority of our 2008 servers and are now focused on the remediation of 2012 servers. This project work involves research and documentation of potential remediation options, analysis, design, prototyping, project management, testing, debugging, and deployment of the solution on the remediated server.
- Evaluation of the need for an enterprise API solution. While we have done some work with APIs, we are in the process of evaluating the need in our environment for an API Management and/or iPaaS solution in our environment. As we evaluate this, we need this candidate to bring their experience working with APIs. A stellar candidate will have experience building an API environment from the ground up.
Essential Duties Include
- Manage and provide technical leadership for projects involving medium-to-large scale, complex and highly analytical tasks.
- Design, plan, integrate, test, implement, document and enhance the physical and logical components of large complex applications.
- Integration between vendor applications and internal IT and business departments data flows using APIs, SSIS, Powershell, and Microsoft Power Apps.
- Design and develop REST API platforms.
- Program using security frameworks (e.g., JWT, OATH2)
- Supervise, organize, and direct the work of subordinate staff in providing support for Application Development Team Applications to meet Service Level Agreement (SLA) compliance:
- Ensure that appropriate policies and procedures are followed by subordinates; review and recommend a variety of personnel actions in such areas as training and software selection.
- Coordinate issue resolution with the vendor, communication status updates with the business unit.
- Document all functions of the process or application and become an application SME.
- Provide data and information required for the ServiceNow implementation activities, including maintaining a foundational CMDB and identifying configurable items.
- Document all processes used to support any of the aforementioned responsibilities.
- Maintenance of documents and databases that may require manual changes and uploads.
- Provide support during planned and unplanned outages in accordance with our Service Level Agreements for each solution. If there is no defined SLA, candidate would be responsible for creating one and getting various approvals and reviewing that SLA annually. For unplanned outages, candidate is responsible for bringing awareness of the outage to users and potentially the Major Incident Manager (in cases where the application is deemed critical and the outage is widespread), coordinating with users, various IT groups, and the vendor to resolve the outage. Once resolved, the candidate is responsible for providing a root-cause analysis of the incident and reporting it out per the defined process.
- For our quarterly Microsoft Server Patching events, candidate is responsible for both vendor and internally-developed solutions. The candidate is responsible for evaluating the list of patches with the vendor and get the sign off. For internally-developed solutions, the candidate will act as the vendor and provide that sign off; Participate in the test server patching events to identify any issues. If there are issues, candidate is responsible for providing feedback to the hosting team and coordinating which patches can be applied. Once testing has been completed, candidate is responsible for participating in the production patching event which usually occurs outside of normal business hours.
How to qualify
- An associate degree in computer science or a closely related field from an accredited college or university OR its equivalent in terms of total course credits/units [i.e., at least sixty (60) semesters or ninety (90) quarter credits/units with a minimum of twenty (20) semester or thirty (30) quarter credits/units in computer science or a closely-related field].
- Five (5) years of experience in the information systems field, including system analysis, business process design, development, and implementation of business application solutions or IT project management.
- Including two (2) years of healthcare information technology experience*
- One year of full-time employment is equivalent to 2,000 hours of work experience (2,000 hours of qualifying work experience is based on a 40-hour work week). Any overtime hours that you work above 40 hours a week are not included in the calculation to determine full-time employment.
- Education Substitution: Additional years of experience that meet these requirements may substitute for required education on a year-for-year basis.
*These qualifications contain Special Conditions that may differ from the standard minimum qualifications associated with this class code.
- PMP/ITIL certification
- Five (5) years of software engineering experience that demonstrates the knowledge and ability to perform the essential duties.
- Experience implementing either an APIM or iPaas solution from the ground up.
- Experience with design and development of REST API platform using Apigee/APIM, converting web services from SOAP to REST or vice-versa.
- Experience with Security frameworks (e.g., JWT, OATH2)
- Experience in API layer like security, custom analytics, throttling, caching, logging, monetization, request and response modifications etc.
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- Three (3) years of software engineering experience that demonstrates the knowledge and ability to perform the essential duties.
What else should I know?
- Minimum Qualification Questionnaire (Weight: Qualifying)
Along with this application, applicants must complete the Required Questionnaire, which is designed to compare an applicant's experience with the Minimum Qualifications of this position.
- Examination (Weight: 100%)
After this job ad is unpublished, qualified applicants will receive an online exam link. The exam evaluates relevant knowledge, ability, and skill level.
Eligible List/Score Report
An examination score report will be published online for applicants to view rankings, final scores, and the number of eligible candidates. Applicant information, including names of applicants on the eligible list, shall not be made public unless required by law. A confidential list of applicant names that have passed the civil service examination process will be created and used for certification purposes only. However, an eligible list shall be made available for public inspection, upon request, once the eligible list is exhausted or expired and referrals resolved. The eligible list/score report resulting from this civil service examination process is subject to change after adoption (e.g., as a result of appeals), as directed by the Human Resources Director or the Civil Service Commission.
The duration of the eligible list resulting from this examination process will be twelve (12) months and may be extended with the approval of the Human Resources Director.
To find Departments that use this classification, please see https://sfdhr.org/sites/default/files/documents/ASO-Level-Chart.pdf?documentID=21246.
The certification rule for the eligible list resulting from this examination will be the Rule of Ten Scores. Additional selection processes may be conducted by the hiring department prior to making final hiring decisions.
Terms of Announcement
Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods, and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state, or local laws, rules, or regulations. Clerical errors may be corrected by posting the correction on the Department of Human Resources website. The terms of this announcement may be appealed under Civil Service Rule 111A.35.1. Appeals must be submitted directly to the Executive Officer of the Civil Service Commission within five business days of the announcement issuance date.
- Information About The Hiring Process
- COVID-19 Policies
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Medical Examination Prior to Hiring
- Electronic Health Record (EHR)
- Copies of Application Documents
- Conviction History
- Employee Benefits Overview
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Disaster Service Worker
- ADA Accommodation
- Veterans Preference
- Right to Work
- Diversity Statement
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT: All City and County of San Francisco employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Someone is fully vaccinated when 14 days have passed since they received the final dose of a two-shot vaccine or a dose of a one-shot vaccine. Any new hire must present proof of full vaccination status to be appointed. Any new hire who will be routinely assigned or occasionally enter High-Risk Settings, must provide proof of having received a COVID-19 booster vaccine by March 1, 2022, or once eligible.
The City and County of San Francisco encourages women, minorities and persons with disabilities to apply. Applicants will be considered regardless of their sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (associated with cancer, a history of cancer, or genetic characteristics), HIV/AIDS status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, or other protected category under the law.