Student Intern Program, Summer 2023 - Engineering, Architecture, Planning, Computer Science/Information Services (5380) (5381) (5382) (1010)
Published: February 02, 2023
Accepting applications until: February 20, 2023
Apply using SmartRecruiters, the City and County of San Francisco's application portal Learn More
Job class: 5380-Student Design Trainee I, Arch., Engr., & Planning
Pay range: $33.2750/hr - $33.2750/hr
Role type: Temporary Exempt What does this mean?
Amended 02/01/2023 to extend the filing deadline.
Candidates who have already submitted an application do not need to re-apply.
The City and County of San Francisco is seeking student interns interested in various engineering and architecture disciplines, to provide support to in-house Engineering, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Planning, Surveying, GIS, and IT staff.
The Summer 2023 Student Intern Program is a collaborative effort comprised of the following city departments seeking to employ interns: the Airport Commission (SFO), Department of Building Inspection (DBI), Port of San Francisco (Port), San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC), Public Works, and Recreation and Park Department (RPD).
The deadline for submitting your application is FEBRUARY 20, 2023.
The duration of this internship can be 3-6 months, with an opportunity to extend it based on exemplary performance and necessity.
Selected candidates will be placed into one of the designated Trainee classifications assigned to this program -- Student Design Trainee I (Job code 5380), Student Design Trainee II (Job code 5381), Student Design Trainee III (Job code 5382), or Information Systems Trainee (Job code 1010). The compensation range is $33.21 - $37.43 per hour, depending on the assigned classification.
Interns will gain on-the-job experience under the guidance of experienced professional engineers, architects, planners, and surveyors while participating in various activities in the assigned City Department.
Positions may be available in the following areas:
- Architectural Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Architectural Technology
- Environmental Engineering
- Project Management
- Geographic Information System
- Regional Planning
- Biology/Natural Resources
- Storm Water Management
- Broadcast Engineering
- Industrial Control Systems (ICS)
- Structural Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Information Technology
- Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition
- City Planning
- Interior Architecture
- Traffic/Transportation Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Land Surveying
- Traffic/Transportation Planning
- Cloud Security
- Landscape Architecture
- Urban Planning
- Computer Science/Information Services
- Utilities Engineering
- Construction Management
- Mechanical Engineering
- Water Resources
- Digital Forensics
How to qualify
We are looking for individuals who:
- Are highly organized and detailed-oriented to successfully navigate complexity
- Willing to assist professional staff in the preparation of plans and in compiling and preparing technical, and statistical data in the form of reports, graphs, maps, and charts; may assist in field investigations and in collecting data
- Willing to learn how to or can prepare or assist professional staff in preparing studies, calculations, designs, drawings, sketches, and plans using AutoCAD and other software tools
- Assist with field inspections of existing structures and sites to determine necessity for future construction, repair, or maintenance; conducts preliminary field studies and surveys and collects data relative to the preparation of designs and drawings
- Assist with regular field inspections of construction and repair projects in progress to ensure conformance with plans, specifications, and codes, checks and records work progress at various construction sites
- Can assist in the preparation of maps, charts, photographs, and other graphic presentations to illustrate planning studies
- Receive and review permit and planning applications, construction plans and supporting documentation for completeness, accuracy and conformance with local, state, and federal codes and other applicable established criteria and entering application data into the database and tracking system
- Think critically through their work and continuously recommend improvements
- Are comfortable using professional judgment to provide architectural, engineering and planning knowledge to supervisors and managers
- Are self-motivated, able to work independently, and open to feedback
- Are comfortable with research and formulating potential solutions/ courses of action
Education: At the time you submit your application, you must be enrolled in an accredited university or a community college in the following related fields: Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, or Environmental Engineering, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Interior Architecture, Architectural Technology, Architectural Engineering, Planning, Urban Planning, City Planning, Regional Planning, Computer Science/Information Services Program, Cybersecurity Program, Cloud Security, Digital Forensics, Mathematics, Biology, Natural Resources, Environmental Horticulture.
- You must be returning to your undergraduate program or entering/continuing a graduate program in the Fall 2023
- Students who will soon graduate are encouraged to apply
- You can still apply if you are in your second-to-last or last semester, as you may still be selected for the program within six months of graduation
Experience: No previous experience is necessary. However, previous internship experience may be used to determine the possible level of classification into which you are hired.
- Candidates must be willing to learn architectural, engineering and planning practices depending on the various city departments and area of interests.
- Candidates must be prepared to receive on-the-job training to acquire the ability to apply professional standards and develop architectural, engineering and planning skills.
What else should I know?
Important Information for Applying – Please read carefully:
Use the ‘upload resume’ feature at the top of the application page in order to pre-fill the page. This will also automatically attach your resume to the application.
The application allows you to include additional attachments. You must attach the following:
- Proof of your undergraduate or graduate school education (Master’s or PhD program). This can be your transcript (official or unofficial), diploma, class schedule, or other document that shows your current enrollment or graduate student status with your school.
Submission date for college transcripts may be extended if it is impossible to obtain them by February 14, 2023. Applicants must submit a signed statement explaining why transcripts cannot be obtained by the filing date. Extension requests will be granted on a case-by-case basis. It is the applicant’s sole responsibility that all application materials and support documentation be received in a complete and legible form.
- Cover letter (PDF only, limited to 1 page) briefly addressing your interest in Engineering · Architecture · Landscape Architecture · Planning · Computer Science/Information Services · Biology · Natural Resources discipline area(s) and career goals.
Applications without these attachments will be considered incomplete and may not move on in the hiring process. If you have any questions or need assistance, you may contact one of the individuals listed at the top of this job ad or you can email firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for submitting your application is FEBRUARY 20, 2023.
Invitations to interview will be sent between March 3-11, 2023
Interviews will be conducted between March 21 – April 3, 2023
Selected candidates will be notified between April 3-21, 2023
The selection process will include evaluation of applications in relation to minimum requirements. Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement to the interview.
Depending on the number of applicants, the City departments may establish and implement additional screening mechanisms to comparatively evaluate the qualifications of candidates. If this becomes necessary, only those applicants whose qualifications most closely meet the needs of the various department will be invited to participate in the oral/performance interview.
Your resume and cover letter could be used for scoring in selection processes and interviews.
Applicants will be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. More information can be found at: https://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process#verification. Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
What else should I know?
Hybrid work culture
We work in a hybrid environment, and you may be expected to work in the office up to 2-3 days per week. In-office workdays are flexible and can be tailored to fit your needs as well as the needs of the role.
This role is exempt from the San Francisco Civil Service Rules, and employment is at the discretion of the appointing officer for a period of not-to-exceed three years. (Category 18)
Applicants will be contacted by email about this recruitment and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that the email address on the application is accurate and accessible. Also, applicants must ensure that our emails are not blocked by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept mail from @smartrecruiters.com.
After successfully submitting the application, you will receive a confirmation email that your application has been received. You should retain this confirmation email for your records. Failure to receive this email means that your application was not submitted or received.
Additional Information Regarding Employment with the City and County of San Francisco:
- Information About the Hiring Process
- Conviction History
- Employee Benefits Overview
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Disaster Service Worker
- ADA Accommodation
- Right to Work
- Copies of Application Documents
- Diversity Statement
This job ad was originally published on December 12, 2022. It was amended and republished on January 13, 2023 in order to add timeline information and update the list of participating departments.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT: All City and County of San Francisco employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Someone is fully vaccinated when 14 days have passed since they received the final dose of a two-shot vaccine or a dose of a one-shot vaccine. Any new hire must present proof of full vaccination status to be appointed. Any new hire who will be routinely assigned or occasionally enter High-Risk Settings, must provide proof of having received a COVID-19 booster vaccine by March 1, 2022, or once eligible.
The City and County of San Francisco encourages women, minorities and persons with disabilities to apply. Applicants will be considered regardless of their sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (associated with cancer, a history of cancer, or genetic characteristics), HIV/AIDS status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, or other protected category under the law.