IS Business Analyst-Principal- The Department of Technology-1054-131898
Published: May 25, 2023
Contact:Aarti Lata - firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply using SmartRecruiters, the City and County of San Francisco's application portal Learn More
Why Work for the Department of Technology (DT)? DT is the centralized technology services provider in the City and County of San Francisco (CCSF). We deliver technology infrastructure and services to approximately 33,000 employees! With an annual operating budget of over $140M and approximately 260 employees, DT provides a host of services that range from Public Safety radio and wiring and Network services to Enterprise Support and the Cloud.
Benefits of Working for CCSF: In addition to challenging and rewarding work, the City provides a generous suite of benefits to its employees.
- Job security, pension, and robust retirement options
- Competitive pay with consistent bi-yearly or yearly increases
- Generous paid time off, family leave, and more!
- Hybrid Work with minimum of 20% of time spent in our Office in San Francisco, California for all IT related roles. (Must be a California resident)
- Diverse work environment in a diverse city
- Union protections and representation
- Career development and growth — move between departments, learn on the job, or take subsidized/reimbursed classes!
PEOPLE-CENTERED SOLUTIONS — have a powerful, meaningful effect on the community each day with people at the heart of every solution!
CLOSING THE DIGITAL DIVIDE — bring the benefits of the internet to low-income and marginalized residents!
SHINE A LIGHT ON WHAT MATTERS — join an award-winning production team at SFGovTV to help residents watch legislators or learn more about what makes this City great!
DRIVE INNOVATION — deliver new, cutting-edge technology to residents and city partners to help San Francisco serve its residents!
THIS IS A POSITION-BASED TEST CONDUCTED IN ACCORDANCE WITH CSC RULE 111A.
- Application Opening: 3/13/2023
- Application Deadline: 5/26/2023
- Compensation Range: $136,162 - $193,830
- Recruitment ID: #131898
Work Location: Incumbent will conduct the majority of work at the Department of Technology, (1 S Van Ness, Ave San Francisco, CA 94103). However, there may be situations where the incumbent will be required to work at other sites throughout the City of San Francisco as necessary.
This position does not support fully remote work. Employees may be permitted to work a hybrid schedule with supervisor approval, after which they must work at least two days in the office every two weeks.
JUS.T.I.S is seeking an experienced applications developer with strong development, programming, and analytic skills. You should be passionate about using technology to solve meaningful problems. You have created enterprise-level software that can scale; You care about data privacy and understand sensitive data. If you want to make a difference for the City and County of San Francisco, join our JUS.T.I.S. team.
- Optimize system designs through review and analysis of 8 JUSTIS agency user needs; customize systems through design and administration in coordination with the team and agencies to ensure customizations and optimizations do not break or negatively impact the JUSTIS systems or agency systems and historical data.
- Identify opportunities for improvements in business processes through automation; make recommendations for new procedures and applications. Continual improvements to enhance, automate, and error-proof the functionality of applications and systems.
- Analyze the feasibility of 'and develop requirements for new systems and enhancements to existing systems; may require preparation of cost estimates and schedules for modifications; set scope, boundaries and objectives for system' functions and interfaces based on departmental needs. Systems and enhancements to existing systems; prepare cost estimates and schedules for modifications; set scope, boundaries and objectives for system' functions and interfaces based on departmental needs. Work closely with JUSTIS agencies to capture requirements, set scope, estimate delivery, demonstrate new functions, allow user testing and feedback, and modify the function to meet user needs and expectations. Communicate with user when an issue is not technical and is a business process, operations, or training issue.
- Design, develop and implement new systems to support departmental activities. As laws change and agency case management systems change, upgraded or replaced, design, develop, test, and implement new or updated systems to enable the continued and uninterrupted exchange of criminal data. Be responsible for the applications you build. Create APEX workspaces for specific Criminal Justice Agencies. Work in an agile development environment.
- Define system requirements; design, code, test and debug systems; train users on new applications.
- Develop or modify system design: write detailed design specifications. Maintain and update system documentation.
- Provide advice on the functionality of new programs and compatibility of modifications to ensure user needs are met. Work with users to ensure they understand the downstream and upstream impacts related to the changes being requested. Coordinate communications and meetings to ensure all agencies are informed of changes.
- Evaluate software and hardware products on multiple platforms; make recommendations for compatibility, based on user requirements and systems analysis.
- Provide analysis and technical support for highly complex systems; troubleshoot systems problems; implement solutions. Conduct investigation into errors, unexpected outcomes, and incidents to understand the root cause of an issue and proposed solution or workaround with an understanding of the historical data and logic that was in the legacy CMS system and how the system handled the data and/or transaction.
- Support and maintain highly technical systems or networks; analyze and evaluate systems for cost effective and efficient performance; recommend modifications. As work is performed to modernize the JUSTIS environment, platform, tables and databases continue to support and maintain production systems and recommend modifications to improve performance, efficiency and accuracy. Requires rich experience in writing SQL queries, views, materialized views, PL/SQL procedures, functions, packages, triggers, cursors, collections, Ref cursor, cursor variables, system reference cursor, Dynamic SQL. Requires knowlege of using PL/SQL wrappers to protect the PL/SQL procedures and packages ensuring developed applications comply to JUSTIS security model.
- Coordinate the efforts of analysts, engineers and operators in the implementation of projects spanning multiple systems and sites; multiple platforms. Lead and work with contract developers to ensure tasks are performed in alignment with expected outcomes and deliverables. Interface with senior engineers who have built the current Criminal Justice System.
- Manage and monitor the progress of contractors and vendors; resolve problems.
How to qualify
Education: An associate degree in computer science or a closely related field from an accredited college or university OR its equivalent in terms of total course credits/units [i.e., at least sixty (60) semester or ninety (90) quarter credits/units with a minimum of twenty (20) semester or thirty (30) quarter credits/units in computer science or a closely related field].
Experience: Five (5) years of experience in the information systems field, including system analysis, business process design, development and implementation of business application solutions or IT project management.
Substitution: Additional experience as described above may be substituted for the required degree on a year-for-year basis (up to a maximum of two (2) years). One (1) year is equivalent to thirty (30) semester units / forty-five (45) quarter units with a minimum of 10 semester / 15 quarter units in computer science or a closely related field.
SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION: Essential duties require the following physical skills and work requirements: Some positions may require sufficient strength and coordination for lifting, pushing, pulling and/or carrying the weight of computer equipment. May require hand/eye coordination for semi-skilled movements, such as taking apart casings. installing parts and reconnecting computers and for per-forming data entry. May involve extensive VDT exposure.
SPECIAL CONDITION: 36 months experience in the following:
- Criminal Justice Systems Business Analyst experience
- Criminal Justice Technical Application Development experience
SPECIAL CONDITION: Background Clearence Required.
1]The above minimum qualifications reflect special conditions associated with the position(s) to be filled. They may differ from the standard minimum qualifications associated with this class code.
2]One-year full-time employment is considered equivalent to 2000 hours (2000 hours of qualifying work experience is based on a 40-hour work week). Any overtime hours that you work above forty (40) hours per week are not included in the calculation to determine full-time employment.
3] Applicants must meet minimum qualification requirements by the final filing date unless otherwise noted.
4]Employees for the City and County of San Francisco may submit performance evaluations showing duties performed to verify qualifying City experience. City employees will receive credit for the duties of the class to which appointed. Credit for experience obtained outside of the employee's class will be allowed only if recorded in accordance with the provisions of Civil Service Commission Rules.
5]Security Clearances & Background Investigations: Positions in this classification may require that successful candidates who become eligible for appointment may be required to go through a background investigation to determine the candidate's suitability for employment in this classification. Factors considered in the investigation may include employment history, use of illegal/controlled substances. Reasons for rejection based on this investigation may include, but not limited to applicable convictions, repeated or serious violations of the law, inability to accept supervision, inability to follow rules and regulations, falsification of application materials and/or other relevant factors. Failure to obtain and maintain security clearance may be basis for termination.
The stated desirable qualifications may be used to identify job finalists at the end of the selection process when candidates are referred for hiring.
- Proficiency in analysis, design, development, testing, implementation and maintenance of applications in Oracle Application Express (APEX).
- Experience with Oracle IDCS, Active Directory integration using LDAP.
- Conceptual knowledge of Oracle 12c through Oracle 19c
- Extensive experience in writing SQL queries, views, materialized view, PL/SQL procedures, functions, packages, triggers, cursors, collections, Ref cursor, CLOB, variables, system reference cursor, Dynamic SQL, DB Links and others.
- Demonstrates knowledge of using PL/SQL wrappers to protect the PL/SQL procedures and packages.
- Extensive hands-on experience working with JSON, XML, RESTful API implementation.
- Solid concept of activity auditing and tracing.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to interact with people at all levels.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at https://sfdhr.org/how-verify-education-requirements
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed City and County of San Francisco application.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
What else should I know?
SELECTION PROCEDURE/EXAMINATION REQUIREMENTS
After application submission, candidates deemed qualified must complete all subsequent steps to advance in this selection process, which includes the following:
Minimum Qualification Supplemental Questionnaire (MQSQ):
Candidates will be required to complete a MQSQ as part of the employment application. This MQSQ is designed to obtain specific information regarding an applicant's experience in relation to the Minimum Qualifications (MQ) for this position. The MQSQ will be used to evaluate if the applicant possesses the required minimum qualifications.
Supplemental Questionnaire: (Weight 100%):
Candidates deemed to meet the minimum qualifications will be invited to participate in supplemental questionnaire designed to measure their relative knowledge, skills and abilities in job-related areas, which may include, but not be limited to knowledge of: Knowledge of practices and techniques of project management; training techniques; systems development life cycle; structured. systems or procedures analysis; business applications development; Knowledge of technical writing; Ability/Skill to Manage and direct a group of workers, including the ability to provide counseling and mediation; persuade, convince and train others; Ability/Skill to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; Ability/Skill to communicate clear expectations to subordinates and motivate them to perform effectively; Ability/Skill to establish and maintain good working relations with department personnel, staff, vendors, peers and management; understand and learn a variety of business procedures and processes; Ability/Skill to exercise the judgement, decisiveness and creativity required in situations involving the direction, control and planning of a program or multiple programs; Ability/Skill to use logic and analysis to solve computer and systems problems; translate functional requirements into systems specifications; decide the time, place and sequence of operations within an organizational framework, as well as the ability to oversee their execution; Ability/Skill read and understand professional journals and literature; coordinate highly technical procedures and complex reporting requirements; Ability/Skill to produce complex reports; prioritize competing requests for service; develop network design; conduct cost/benefit analyses; Ability/Skill to prepare technical specifications; produce complex reports-, coordinate highly technical procedures and complex reporting requirements; develop new approaches and solutions outside of existing theories and principles, engage in high level consulting.
A passing score must be achieved on the written examination in order to be ranked on the eligible list.
Eligible List/Score Report:
A confidential eligible list of applicant names that have passed the civil service examination process will be created and used for certification purposes only. An examination score report will be established, so applicants can view the ranks, final scores and number of eligible candidates. Applicant information, including names of applicants on the eligible list, shall not be made public unless required by law. However, an eligible list shall be made available for public inspection, upon request, once the eligible list is exhausted or expired and referrals resolved. The eligible list/score report resulting from this civil service examination process is subject to change after adoption (e.g., as a result of appeals), as directed by the Human Resources Director or the Civil Service Commission.
The duration of the eligible list resulting from this examination process will be 12 months and may be extended with the approval of the Human Resources Director.
To find Departments which use this classification, please see https://sfdhr.org/sites/default/files/documents/Forms-Documents/Position-Counts-by-Job-Codes-and-Department-FY-2022-23.pdf.
Terms of Announcement and Appeal Rights:
Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. Clerical errors may be corrected by the posting the correction on the Department of Human Resources website at https://careers.sf.gov.
The terms of this announcement may be appealed under Civil Service Rule 111A.35.1. The standard for the review of such appeals is ‘abuse of discretion’ or ‘no rational basis’ for establishing the position description, the minimum qualifications and/or the certification rule. Appeals must include a written statement of the item(s) being contested and the specific reason(s) why the cited item(s) constitute(s) abuse of discretion by the Human Resources Director. Appeals must be submitted directly to the Executive Officer of the Civil Service Commission within five business days of the announcement issuance date.]
Additional Information Regarding Employment with the City and County of San Francisco:
- Information About The Hiring Process
- Conviction History
- Employee Benefits Overview
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Disaster Service Worker
- ADA Accommodation
- Veterans Preference
- Seniority Credit in Promotional Exams
- Right to Work
- Copies of Application Documents
- Diversity Statement
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit https://careers.sf.gov and begin the application process.
- Select the “I’m Interested” button and follow instructions on the screen
Applicants may be contacted by email about this recruitment and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org, @famsf.org, @ccsf.edu, @smartalerts.info, and @smartrecruiters.com).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records.
Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Exam Analyst Information: If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the exam analyst at Aarti.Lata@sfgov.org -PBT-1054-131898 [Promotive]
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT: All City and County of San Francisco employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Someone is fully vaccinated when 14 days have passed since they received the final dose of a two-shot vaccine or a dose of a one-shot vaccine. Any new hire must present proof of full vaccination status to be appointed. Any new hire who will be routinely assigned or occasionally enter High-Risk Settings, must provide proof of having received a COVID-19 booster vaccine by March 1, 2022, or once eligible.
The City and County of San Francisco encourages women, minorities and persons with disabilities to apply. Applicants will be considered regardless of their sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (associated with cancer, a history of cancer, or genetic characteristics), HIV/AIDS status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, or other protected category under the law.