Green Business Associate - SF Environment Department (9922)
Published: October 17, 2023
Contact:Kelly Alves - firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply using SmartRecruiters, the City and County of San Francisco's application portal Learn More
Job class: 9922-Public Service Aide - Associate To Professionals
Salary range: $55,874.00 - $55,874.00
Role type: Permanent Exempt What does this mean?
Do you believe business can be a force for good? Do you like to see local businesses doing the right thing for the environment and their community? Do you want to be the person that helps show them how? Then join our Green Business team and help small, local businesses become recognized environmental leaders through the implementation of cost-effective environmental practices.
Who We Are
The San Francisco Environment Department (SF Environment) advances climate protection and enhances quality of life for all San Franciscans. SF Environment is a department within the City and County of San Francisco, a local government committed to innovation, leadership and collaboration in creating environmental change. SF Environment is recognized worldwide for its environmental policies and programs, which center on achieving zero waste, reducing toxic chemical hazards, advancing environmental justice, promoting sustainable transportation modes, expanding clean energy infrastructure, greening our built environment, and protecting our urban forest. We’re a passionate, mission-driven team that values credibility, collaboration, impact, innovation and equity. SF Environment is also a great place to work, offering an attractive benefits package that includes healthcare and retirement.
SF Environment - Statement on Racial Equity
For over 20 years, SF Environment has worked with San Francisco’s Black, indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC) communities to mitigate environmental burdens, increase accessibility of environmental programs and benefits, engage community members, and improve health outcomes. BIPOC communities are disproportionately exposed to environmental stressors that include air and soil pollution, illegal dumping of toxics and other materials, industrial land uses and transportation impacts. They are more likely to live in housing conditions with limited access to green space and where poor indoor air quality from pests, mold, and the use of toxic products contributes to the prevalence of asthma and other health disparities. They are more likely to be employed in areas with high levels of exposure to toxics. Now, they are the first communities feeling the impacts of climate change, with the fewest resources to respond. SF Environment has a longstanding commitment to the principles of environmental justice, whereby communities most impacted by environmental stressors and climate change are prioritized and the long-time work of community leaders is recognized and supported. We are committed to uplifting the contributions of local environmental leaders of diverse racial backgrounds and ensuring that racial equity is the cornerstone of all of our programs, policies, and services.
- Salary Range - $55,874 per year
- Work location: Hybrid (up to two days remote) #LI-Hybrid
- Application Opening: September 25, 2023
- Application Deadline: October 16, 2023
- Recruitment ID: 140027
- Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every position to which they apply. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
The Green Business Associate is an entry-level role designed to offer exposure to a career pathway in sustainability. As the Green Business Associate, you’ll recruit and work with small and medium-sized businesses to help them implement environmental best management practices. You will learn about a wide array of sustainability measures, in the areas of energy, water conservation, pollution prevention, zero waste, transportation, and climate. You’ll also gain knowledge of outreach and marketing tactics, behavior change strategies, public speaking, program administration, and database management.
- Recruit new businesses into the Green Business program through direct and indirect marketing techniques including but not limited to cold calls, unannounced visits, planned visits, presentations, networking events, and other forums
- Assist enrolled businesses in achieving Green Business recognition by performing in-depth phone consultations, on-site or virtual Green Business evaluations, conducting trainings, documenting environmental best management practices, and following up with prospective Green Businesses
- Maintain relationships with existing and prospective Green Businesses and encourage in-process businesses to complete their certification process
- Assist in the development and maintenance of Green Business program standards, toolkits, and resources
- Help develop content for the Green Business website, newsletter, and social media channels
- Use a database to report on status of businesses certified and environmental savings accrued
- Assist in the planning and execution of Green Business events
How to qualify
This position is a Permanent-Exempt Appointment, with an anticipated duration of 36 months. The position is excluded by the Charter from the competitive civil service examination process and shall serve at the discretion of the appointing officer.
Education and Experience
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university; or
- Two years of college education from an accredited college or university, and six (6) months of professional work experience, including internships, research positions, or other experience, relevant to the duties described in the job description.
The desirable qualifications may be used to select among finalists at the end of the selection process. We do not expect any one candidate to have all the qualifications listed. We highly encourage you to apply if you are interested in joining us.
- Customer service, sales, marketing and/or outreach experience with ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in written format
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Fluency in Cantonese, Spanish, or other languages commonly spoken in San Francisco besides English Familiarity with San Francisco’s neighborhoods
- An understanding of equity, inclusion, and diversity concepts
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and willingness to drive a City-issued vehicle as needed (vehicle is provided)
VERIFICATION: Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at https://sfdhr.org/how-verify-education-requirements.
Note: Falsifying one's education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed City and County of San Francisco application.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
How to Apply - Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit https://careers.smartrecruiters.com/CityAndCountyOfSanFrancisco1/ and begin the application process.
- Select the “I’m Interested” button and follow instructions on the screen
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every position to which they apply. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this recruitment and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org, @famsf.org, @ccsf.edu, @smartalerts.info, and @smartrecruiters.com).
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the exam analyst, Adam Romoslawski, Senior Human Resources Consultant, at email@example.com.
What else should I know?
Selection Procedures - After application submission, candidates deemed qualified must complete all subsequent steps to advance in this selection process, which includes the following:
Supplemental Information - After submitting your application you will receive a request for additional information about your education and experience. In addition, 3-5 days after submitting your application, you will be emailed a Supplemental Questionnaire with position-relevant questions about your work experience and interest in the position. Please check junk/spam folders to ensure you receive these information requests.
Selection Procedure and Timeline - Due to the volume of inquiries we receive, we are unable to give application status updates. While we are not able to reach out to every applicant, the hiring manager will contact you directly after the filing deadline if your skills and experiences are a strong match for the position.
Stage 1 of the selection process will consist of an evaluation of applications. Stage 2 - Based on the evaluation of applications, candidates whose skills and experiences are a strong match for the position may be invited to a phone interview. Stage 3 - Candidates who most closely meet the needs of the position will be invited to participate in the panel interview selection process, including an assessment of relative job-related skills and abilities. Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement to Stage 2 or Stage 3 of the hiring process.
To find Departments which use this classification, please see https://sfdhr.org/sites/default/files/documents/Forms-Documents/Position-Counts-by-Job-Codes-and-Department-FY-2022-23.pdf.
Additional Information Regarding Employment with the City and County of San Francisco:
- Information About The Hiring Process
- Conviction History
- Employee Benefits Overview
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Disaster Service Worker
- ADA Accommodation
- Veterans Preference
- Right to Work
- Copies of Application Documents
- Diversity Statement
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
The City and County of San Francisco encourages women, minorities and persons with disabilities to apply. Applicants will be considered regardless of their sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (associated with cancer, a history of cancer, or genetic characteristics), HIV/AIDS status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, or other protected category under the law.