9976 Network Operations Team Lead , Finance and IT Division, Technology Solutions and Integration - SF Municipal Transportation Agency
Published: November 21, 2023
Accepting applications until: November 21, 2023
Contact:Tracy Pon - firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply using SmartRecruiters, the City and County of San Francisco's application portal Learn More
Amended to reflect the change in Minimum Qualifications
In addition to submitting your application, you MUST submit the supplemental questionnaire.
Applicants must complete the supplemental questionnaire prior to starting the online application process. Your application will not be reviewed without the completion of the supplemental questionnaire.
APPOINTMENT TYPE: Permanent Exempt - This position is excluded by the Charter from the competitive Civil Service examination process and shall serve at the discretion of the Appointing Officer.
Application Opening: May 30, 2023
Deadline to Apply: Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as this announcement may close any time
Recruitment ID: 127902
Salary: $150,124 to $188,812 annually
Please Note: A resume must be attached to the online application.
Division: Finance and Information Technology
Section/Unit: Technology Solutions and Integration
Work Location: 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 3rd Floor, San Francisco, CA
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Technology is at the core of the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency’s (SFMTA) mission and future. Bring your technical skills, willingness to work hard and innovate to join the SFMTA Technology Systems Integration team. We are developing new tools, rethinking systems, and modernizing transportation. This is an opportunity to work with stakeholders and business units across the SFMTA and take a pivotal step in your career. In this role, you will be a crucial member of the network operations team and a critical member to promote SFMTA’s network operations. This team is constantly looking for ways to improve operations efficiency, refining our processes, and investing in new technology. Your work will impact the lives of all San Francisco residents and many more visitors and commuters who use our transportation services and infrastructure.
Under general direction, the Network Operations Team Lead will lead the team in managing, designing, implementing, and maintaining all aspects of the Agency’s network operations and guide the team in developing a world class network. We are looking for someone who has the proven ability to manage and inspire staff to innovate and consistently improve on the services we provide. This position will have experience in design policies and architect a scalable network infrastructure that can keep pace with our anticipated growth.
Examples of Important and Essential Duties:
- Supervises SFMTA network team staff, conducts performance planning and evaluations, manages resource allocation, and confirms task completion by the assigned staff.
- Engineers solutions for complex technology infrastructure challenges through establishing detailed hardware, software, and configuration standards.
- Directs and monitors technical support activities related to complex large networks.
- Plans, develops, and implements backup and disaster recovery procedures for large networks.
- Works closely with team to develop, define and manage network cybersecurity design using NIST and CISA cybersecurity practices.
- Reports to management on uptime, network health, security risks, network utilization and other KPIs as defined.
- Reports on KPIs that they have defined and manage, ensuring it represents the goals of the network team.
- Performs as project lead in major projects to monitor, coordinate and review project tasks and resources as well as provide technical assistance and guidance.
- Develops and maintains various technical documentation and provides training to technical staff.
- Engineers and designs solutions for complex problems through detailed analysis.
- Supports a full Azure (or similar cloud technology) implementation and presence.
- Analyzes and recommends cybersecurity controls and procedures in acquisition, development, and change management lifecycle of information systems, and provides oversight to ensure compliance.
- Participates in on-call rotation and maintenance of server support
- Develops and delivers best practices and procedures for network operations.
- Helps support Level 1, 2, 3 troubleshooting with 24x7 support.
- Assists in researching and recommending new technologies.
- Mentors and trains junior staff.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Nature of Work:
Incumbent must be willing to work a 40-hour week as determined by the department. The position may also require sufficient physical strength and coordination for lifting, pushing, pulling and/or carrying the weight of computer systems equipment. The position may also require the following: bending, stooping and/or crawling in order to install or repair computer systems hardware, hand/eye coordination and manual dexterity for taking apart casings, installing parts and reconnecting computer systems hardware.
Incumbent will comply with the remote work policy at SFMTA, One South Van Ness Avenue, 3rd Floor. However, there may be situations where the incumbent will be required to work at other sites throughout the City of San Francisco as necessary.
How to qualify
Seven (7) years of experience analyzing, installing, configuring, enhancing, design, and maintaining the components of an enterprise network. This experience must include three (3) years of experience managing and/or supervising an Enterprise Network Team.
- In-depth knowledge of IPv4, IPv6, BGP, OSPF, IS-IS and Spanning Tree Protocol.
- Previous experience managing OT (Operational Technology) networks and associated cybersecurity design.
- Experience planning and maintaining a MPLS based metropolitan area network (MAN).
- Experience with Next Generation Palo Alto firewalls.
- Knowledge of network cybersecurity including IDS, DDoS, Firewalls, and other distributed attack schemes.
- Expert level knowledge of RF wireless technologies and experience troubleshooting RF interference.
- Strong knowledge of VoIP and Video protocols; SIP, SS7, RTP, TLS, SCCP, H.323, H.264 and MGCP.
- Ability to design, implement, administer and optimize enterprise network management systems and SNMP bases monitoring utilities such as, WhatsUp Gold, Nagios, SolarWinds or equivalent.
- Proven ability to automate tasks and maintenance with a combination of custom scripts and other tools.
- Ability to initiate, drive, and/or support innovation and change.
- Must be self-motivated with time management skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate updates, issues, and resolutions to all levels of the organization.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with an emphasis on documentation.
What else should I know?
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. More information can be found at: https://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process#verification. Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
Applications will be screened for relevant qualifying experience. Additional screening mechanisms may be used to determine candidates' qualifications. Only those applicants who most closely meet the needs of the Agency will be invited to move forward in the selection process.
- Information About the Hiring Process
- Conviction History
- Employee Benefits Overview
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Disaster Service Worker
- ADA Accommodation
- Right to Work
- Copies of Application Documents
- Diversity Statement
This recruitment may be utilized to fill similar positions in this classification at SFMTA
For questions or inquiries, please contact the analyst, Tracy Pon at Tracy.Pon2@sfmta.com.
The City and County of San Francisco encourages women, minorities and persons with disabilities to apply. Applicants will be considered regardless of their sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (associated with cancer, a history of cancer, or genetic characteristics), HIV/AIDS status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, or other protected category under the law.