Nurse Practitioner, Family (2328) - Department of Public Health
Published: December 07, 2023
Contact:Stephen Lee - firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply using SmartRecruiters, the City and County of San Francisco's application portal Learn More
The Department of Public Health prioritizes equitable and inclusive access to quality healthcare for its community and values the importance of diversity in its workforce. All employees at the Department of Public Health work to advance equity, inclusion, and diversity with a specific lens and focus on race, ethnicity, gender, sex, sexuality, disability, and immigration status.
- Application Opening – November 17, 2023
- Application Deadline – The application filing will be open continuously at least through December 3, 2023 and will close any time thereafter.
- Salary: $91.375-$131.825 Hourly; $190,060-274,196 Annually
- Appointment Type: Permanent Civil Service
- Recruitment ID: CBT-2328-H00093
The Mission of the San Francisco Department of Public Health (SFDPH) is to protect and promote the health of all San Franciscans. SFDPH strives to achieve its mission through the work of two main Divisions - the San Francisco Health Network and Population Health. The San Francisco Health Network is the City’s only complete system of care and has locations throughout the City, including Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center, Laguna Honda Hospital and Rehabilitation Center, and over 15 primary care health centers.
This recruitment will be used to consider applicants for both full-time and part-time positions at various locations.
To apply, submit an online application through the “Apply Now” button at the top of this job announcement.
How to apply:
- Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit careers.sf.gov and begin the application process.
- Our e-mail communications may come from more than one department so please make sure your email is set to accept messages from all of us at this link.
- Applicants may be contacted by email about this recruitment therefore, it is their responsibility to contact the Analyst if they update their email address.
- Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
The Nurse Practitioner provides comprehensive team based patient centered care to patients in a clinical or hospital setting, both independently and in collaboration with provider colleagues and Supervising Physician. Responsibilities include management of acute and chronic conditions as well as routine health care maintenance.
MAJOR, IMPORTANT, AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Provides routine preventative and continuity care to adult and/or pediatric patients; this may include complete history and physical examinations.
- Orders diagnostic tests, which may include laboratory tests, X-rays and other imaging, E.K.G.’s, and other disease or condition specific diagnostic tests.
- Identifies and manages patients with unstable chronic diseases appropriate to clinical specialty.
- Provides urgent care to acutely ill patients.
- Acute care planning for patients in an inpatient setting.
- Assesses and diagnosis, develops treatment plans, and furnishes medications.
- Counsels and educates patients, and collaborates with healthcare team.
- Consults with physicians on the diagnosis and treatment of unstable and complex patient conditions.
- Documents medical records, and adheres to patient privacy.
- Participates in staff meetings and conferences regarding patient care, as well as quality improvement/control activities.
- Ability to care for birthing adults.
- The Nurse Practitioner may perform other duties as assigned/required.
How to qualify
- Education: Possession of a Master’s Degree or higher in Nursing from an accredited college or university.
- License and Certification:
- Requires possession of a valid license as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN). AND;
- Requires possession of a valid California Nurse Practitioner (NP) license issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN). AND;
- California Nurse Practitioner Furnishing License issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN). AND;
- Possession of a national board certification (or eligibility) as a nurse practitioner issued by a national certifying body or organization recognized by Medicare. AND;
- Specialization as a Family NP.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirement by the final filing date unless otherwise noted.
One-year fulltime employment is equivalent to 2,000 hours (2,000 hours of qualifying work experience is based on a 40-hour work week). Any overtime hours that you work above 40 hours per week are not included in the calculation to determine fulltime employment.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS: The above minimum qualifications reflect special conditions associated with the position(s) to be filled. They may differ from the standard minimum qualifications associated with this classification.
Bilingual Proficiency: Some positions may require bilingual fluency in a variety of languages depending upon the department's bilingual needs. Only those eligible candidates who pass the bilingual proficiency test will be considered for bilingual positions. Applicants must indicate on the application form the language(s) in which they claim proficiency.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS: The stated desirable qualifications may be considered at the end of the selection process when candidates are referred for hiring.
- Desirable qualifications for this position may include
- One (1) year experience managing Prenatal and Pediatric patients
- One (1) year experience managing patients living with HIV
- Possession of a DEA license
Important Note: Please make sure it is absolutely clear in your application exactly how you meet the minimum qualifications. Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. Please be aware that any misrepresentation of this information may disqualify you from this recruitment or future job opportunities. For more information, visit https://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process#verification:~:text=Verification%20of%20Experience%20and/or%20Education
What else should I know?
After application submission, candidates deemed qualified must complete all subsequent steps to advance in this selection process, which includes the following.
Minimum Qualification Supplemental Questionnaire (MQSQ):
Candidates will be required to complete an MQSQ as part of the employment application. This MQSQ is designed to obtain specific information regarding an applicant's experience in relation to the Minimum Qualifications (MQ) for this position. The MQSQ will be used to evaluate if the applicant possesses the required minimum qualifications.
Training and Experience Evaluation: (Weight: 100%):
Candidates that meet the minimum qualifications will be invited to participate in a Training and Experience Evaluation that is designed to measure the knowledge, skills, and abilities in job related areas that have been identified as critical for satisfactory performance in this position.
The link to the training and experience evaluation will be emailed to the address listed on the candidate’s online application. Candidates will be required to respond to the training and experience evaluation in the time frame indicated and must submit the completed questionnaire as directed to have it evaluated. Responses cannot be changed once submitted. Candidates will be evaluated based on their responses. Candidates must achieve a passing score on the training and experience evaluation to continue in the selection process and will be placed on the confidential eligible list in rank order according to their final score.
Additional selection processes may be conducted by the hiring department prior to making final hiring decisions.
The certification rule for the eligible list resulting from this examination will be the Rule of Ten Scores.
Eligible List/Score Report:
Once you pass the exam, you will be placed onto an eligible list and given a score and a rank.
For more information, visit https://careers.sf.gov/knowledge/process/
The duration of the eligible list resulting from this examination process will be 6 months and may be extended with the approval of the Human Resources Director.
To find Departments which use this classification, please see https://sfdhr.org/sites/default/files/documents/Forms-Documents/Position-Counts-by-Job-Codes-andDepartment-FY-2021-22.pdf.
Terms of Announcement and Appeal Rights:
Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. [Note: The correction of clerical errors in an announcement may be posted on the Department of Human Resources website at https://careers.sf.gov/. The terms of this announcement may be appealed under Civil Service Rule 110.4. Such appeals must be submitted in writing to the Department of Human Resources, 1 S Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103-5413 by close of business on the 5th business day following the issuance date of this examination announcement. Information concerning other Civil Service Commission Rules involving announcements, applications and examination policies, including applicant appeal rights, can be found on the Civil Service Commission website at http://sfgov.org/civilservice/rules.
DPH Health Critical Requirements and Information: Please review the following policies regarding DPH employment requirements that safeguard yourself and others.
- COVID-19 Policies
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Medical Examination Prior to Hiring
- Electronic Health Record (EHR)
- Note on ICARE
Additional information regarding Employment with the City and County of San Francisco:
- Information about the Hiring Process
- Conviction History
- Employee Benefits Overview
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Disaster Service Workers
- Reasonable Accommodation
- Right to Work
- Copies of Application Documents
- Diversity Statement
- Veterans Preference
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the analyst, Stephen Lee at email@example.com or (628) 271-6838.
We may use text messaging to communicate with you on the phone number provided in your application. The first message will ask you to opt in to text messaging.
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT: All City and County of San Francisco employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Someone is fully vaccinated when 14 days have passed since they received the final dose of a two-shot vaccine or a dose of a one-shot vaccine. Any new hire must present proof of full vaccination status to be appointed. Any new hire who will be routinely assigned or occasionally enter High-Risk Settings, must provide proof of having received a COVID-19 booster vaccine by March 1, 2022, or once eligible.
The City and County of San Francisco encourages women, minorities and persons with disabilities to apply. Applicants will be considered regardless of their sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (associated with cancer, a history of cancer, or genetic characteristics), HIV/AIDS status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, or other protected category under the law.