Electrical Line Worker (Specialty B) - Department of Technology (7338)
Published: December 14, 2022
Contact:Carol Wong - email@example.com
Apply using SmartRecruiters, the City and County of San Francisco's application portal Learn More
IMPORTANT: Your application MUST include responses to the supplemental questionnaire found HERE.
Applicants must complete the supplemental questionnaire prior to starting the online application process. Application will not be reviewed without completed supplemental questionnaire.
The Department of Technology is the centralized technology services provider within San Francisco City & County government, delivering technology infrastructure and services to approximately 33,000 employees and 800,000 residents. The department has an annual operating budget of over $130M and contains over 220 employees. Core service areas include: Infrastructure and Operations, Technology Security, Service Delivery & Management, Enterprise Applications, Project Management Office, Public Safety Systems & Wiring, Affordable Housing Broadband, Technology Administration, Policy & Governance and IT Public Communications.
The Public Safety Division at DT is an overhead and underground construction shop who maintains critical systems and infrastructure throughout San Francisco such as Police and Fire Emergency communications, Municipal Fire Alarm System and 800 megahertz radio systems.
Under general direction, performs skilled line work in the installation, maintenance, and repair of underground and overhead fiber-optic communications cable and low voltage wiring for various departments of the City and County of San Francisco, including SFMTA traffic control systems, Public Works, PUC, and emergency systems for Police, Fire, and Department of Public Health; as well as distribution systems under 600 volts, and any job required duties as needed.
- Installs underground and overhead cables and feeders related to fiber optic communications and low voltage electrical construction.
- Engages in all aspects of UG and OH construction including trenching, conduit, junction box and vault installation, cable and wire pulling, operates power auger to dig holes, sets, plumbs, and anchors poles.
- Ability to operate and problem solve in small works groups of peers and Line Helpers
- Installs, repairs, and maintains high tension overhead transmissions systems under 600 volts, related feeder lines, towers, and poles; performs such maintenance when lines are energized or de-energized.
- Installs and maintains air raid sirens, police and fire alarm call boxes, traffic signal systems, block and warning signals and lighting circuits; maintains alarm bells and telegraphic equipment in fire stations; trouble shoots, locates, and repairs circuits in all related City-wide communications systems.
- Splices and makes repairs to aluminum and copper conductors; cleans and paints transmission towers and power line poles, patrols and inspects communication and transmission lines, overhauls and replaces switches, breakers, and fuses, and cleans and washes insulators with special “hot line” equipment.
- May perform general electrical maintenance work on domestic and other types of wire facilities and equipment.
The Department of Technology is seeking to fill two (2) Temporary Exempt - Full Time 7338 positions. These positions are excluded by the Charter from the competitive civil service examination process and shall serve at the discretion of the appointing officer. The anticipated duration of these positions is up to thirty-six (36) months and will not result in an eligible list or permanent civil service hiring. The incumbents will spend the majority of their time on the Copper and Fiber Restoration Project.
Incumbent will conduct the majority of work at the Department of Technology, 200 Paul Ave, San Francisco, CA 94124 and will be required to travel to other sites throughout the City and County of San Francisco.
Nature of Work:
Candidate must be willing to work a 40-hour week, that may include weekends, as determined by the department, including mandatory rotations at Swing Shift (3pm-11pm) and Graveyard Shift (11pm-7am).
How to qualify
Completion of a State Certified electrical line apprenticeship program; OR
Specialty B: Three (3) years of verifiable work experience as a journey-level line worker working with pole systems, construction, installation, maintenance and repair of overhead lines, communication systems and underground communication systems.
License and Certification:
Possession of a valid California Driver’s License.
For Specialty B: Completion of a Lineman college program with a minimum of 500 hours of which at least 375 hours must be field training that includes pole climbing can substitute for one (1) year of the required work experience.
- Possession of a valid Class A or Class B California Driver’s License.
- Possession of a valid Pole Climbing Certificate.
1. MEDICAL EXAMINATION: Prior to appointment, eligible candidates may be required to successfully pass a medical examination to determine his/her ability to perform the essential function of this job.
2. MEDICAL TESTING: Prior to appointment, eligible candidates must successfully pass the TB testing Process.
3. SECURITY CLEARANCES AND BACKGROUND INVESTIGATIONS: Positions in this classification may require that successful candidates who become eligible for appointment may be required to go through a background investigation to determine the candidate’s suitability for employment in this classification. Factors considered in the investigation may include employment history, use of illegal/controlled substances. Reasons for rejection based on this investigation may include, but not limited to: applicable convictions, repeated or serious violations of the law, inability to accept supervision, inability to follow rules and regulations, falsification of application materials and/or other relevant factors. Failure to obtain and maintain security clearance may be basis for termination.
4. Prospective and current employees may be subject to DRUG AND/OR ALCOHOL TESTING in accordance with Federal rules and regulations.
What else should I know?
Compensation: $58.3125 hourly
How to Apply:
- Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately as this recruitment may close at any time, but not before November 26, 2021 at 11:59PM.
- Your application MUST include a resume. To upload, please attach using the "additional attachments" function.
- Please complete this supplemental questionnaire in addition to submitting this application.
You may contact Carol Wong via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions regarding this opportunity.
Late or incomplete submissions will not be considered. Mailed, hand delivered or faxed documents/applications will not be accepted.
Right to Work:
All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States. Please be informed that the Department of Technology will not sponsor visa applications/transfer.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT: All City and County of San Francisco employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Someone is fully vaccinated when 14 days have passed since they received the final dose of a two-shot vaccine or a dose of a one-shot vaccine. Any new hire must present proof of full vaccination status to be appointed. Any new hire who will be routinely assigned or occasionally enter High-Risk Settings, must provide proof of having received a COVID-19 booster vaccine by March 1, 2022, or once eligible.
The City and County of San Francisco encourages women, minorities and persons with disabilities to apply. Applicants will be considered regardless of their sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (associated with cancer, a history of cancer, or genetic characteristics), HIV/AIDS status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, or other protected category under the law.