Product Manager (1052 - IS Business Analyst)
Published: May 12, 2022
Apply using SmartRecruiters, the City and County of San Francisco's Application Portal Learn More
May 12, 2022: Amended to expand the Certification Rule of 3 to Rule of 5.
Application Open: Wednesday, May 11, 2022
Application Deadline: Wednesday, May 25, 2022
Recruitment ID: PBT-1052-122224
Exam Type: Position Based Test
Eligible List Type: Combined Promotive and Entrance
Certification Rule: Rule of Five (5)
Salary Range: $96,512 to $121,420
Work Hours: Regular
The Office of the San Francisco Treasurer & Tax Collector serves as the banker, tax collector, collection agent, and investment officer for the City and County of San Francisco. Our mission is to collect and safeguard the City’s money and use our expertise to assist low-income San Francisco families build economic security and mobility.
We are committed to providing excellent services for taxpayers, customers, and our community. By promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion, we are a stronger, smarter, and more informed government agency.
The Product Management team manages many of the Department’s technology products, oversees major technology projects, and leads business process optimization initiatives at the Office of the Treasurer and Tax Collector. The team works to ensure synchronicity among policy, process and technology for the Department. The team spans many activities, from strategic to tactical, and provides important cross-functional leadership, including guidance and product support to ensure efficient day-to-day operations. The section’s robust product portfolio includes the Department’s online applications, such as the payment portals, tax filing applications, and taxpayer account management tools. Working both with the internal IT team and external vendors, the Product Management team delivers resources that enable other sections to operate at peak efficiency and effectiveness, facilitating revenue collection of over $6 billion annually, supporting the mission of the department, and maintaining the Department’s reputation as a technology leader within the City. The team collaborates with other City departments to support good government and implement legislation through cross-departmental projects and products. The section prioritizes fostering a team culture of collaboration, trust, support and excellence.
Under the direction of the Product Management Director, the 1052 IS Business Analyst (Product Manager) will serve as a key resource and support product ownership for major department applications and project management of a variety of department initiatives. The position will facilitate the successful planning, execution, and management of project deliverables and risks from requirements to rollout of assigned projects, and the ongoing ownership of the resulting products and associated processes. The position requires strong product management skills in addition to traditional business analysis-backed approaches to optimize the existing array of tax application and technology ecosystem along with new opportunities (products, technology, practices). A successful candidate will be a proactive self-starter, enjoy collaborating with a diverse set of users including engineers, non-technical end users, constituents, and executives, and enjoy problem solving.
The essential duties of this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Supports and is a resource for major department products; develops and implements modification as necessary; supports maintenance of records of system documentation and user manuals to describe application installation and operating procedures.
- Supports the monitoring of dependencies across multiple inter-related business processes and technical projects. Effectively communicates status of individual project assignments as relates to broader assigned portfolio to team and supervisor, as needed, to manager and senior managers. Interfaces with functional leadership to remediate risks, as directed.
- Collaborates with professional staff, receives and seeks opportunities to provide relevant guidance, leadership, professional development and direction; supports coordination of teams of workers (including staff that report to other managers/supervisors) for projects and products, ensuring that policies, procedures and practices are understood and followed.
- Establishes and maintains healthy relationships with business units and stakeholders to serve as liaison and business partner with the business unit and as the point of contact for business and stakeholders, supporting, understanding, advising and making makes recommendations that align with department mission to meet user needs.
- Conducts and supports UAT and user training across product suites. Supports and participates in the development of training content and schedules. Gathers feedback toward continuous improvement.
- Provides technical and analytical support to product team. Supports product team in the planning, execution, and management of project deliverables and risks; updates and maintains assigned project schedules to ensure timely delivery, including ensuring that goals are met throughout product and project cycles.
- Contributes to the development of the PMO methodology, tools and practices within the department.
- Supports partnerships and collaboration with manager, and IT director and senior manager to contribute to the definition, development, implementation and maintenance of the business process improvement methodology to be employed.
- Researches and evaluates modern technologies and best practices using available resources (e.g. industry meetings, seminars, and vendor contacts); identifies opportunities for improvements through automation and process change.
- Supports the management, measurement and performance monitoring of contractors and vendors, as directed; assists with facilitating contract payments; supports the request for proposal process and re-negotiation of amendments; supports integration of vendor tasks; resolves problems.
- Supports the request for proposal process for application and product replacements, as directed.
- Collaborate with business stakeholders to review and optimize businesses processes to reduce manual processing through Robotic Process Automation (RPA).
- Utilize, create, and support RPA by establishing flows, coding, debugging and documenting RPA processes.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
How to Qualify
These minimum qualifications establish the education, training, experience, special skills and/or license(s) which are required for employment in the classification. Please note, additional qualifications (i.e., special conditions) may apply to a particular position and will be stated on the exam/job announcement.
Education: An associate degree in computer science or a closely related field from an accredited college or university OR its equivalent in terms of total course credits/units [i.e., at least sixty (60) semester or ninety (90) quarter credits/units with a minimum of twenty (20) semester or thirty (30) quarter credits/units in computer science or a closely-related field
Experience: One (1) year in the information systems field, including technical support, content management, administration of network applications or system analysis.
Additional experience as described above may be substituted for the required degree on a year-for-year basis (up to a maximum of two (2) years). One (1) year is equivalent to thirty (30) semester units / forty-five (45) quarter units with a minimum of 10 semester / 15 quarter units in computer science or a closely related field.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirement by the final filing date unless otherwise noted. All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included in the City and County of San Francisco online application by the filing deadline.
The stated desirable qualifications may be used to identify job finalists at the end of the selection process when candidates are referred for hiring.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM) certification
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the application and/or departmental recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456. Written verification (proof) of qualifying experience must verify that the applicant meets the minimum qualifications stated on the announcement. Written verification must be submitted on employer’s official letterhead, specifying name of employee, dates of employment, types of employment (part-time/full-time), job title(s), description of duties performed, and the verification must be signed by the employer.
City employees will receive credit for the duties of the class to which they are appointed. Credit for experience obtained outside of the employee’s class will be allowed only if recorded in accordance with the provisions of the Civil Service Commission Rules. Experience claimed in self-employment must be supported by documents verifying income, earnings, business license and experience comparable to the minimum qualifications of the position. Copies of income tax papers or other documents listing occupations and total earnings must be submitted. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456.
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
What else should I know?
Certification Rule: The certification rule for the eligible list resulting from this examination will be Rule of 5. Additional selection processes may be conducted by the hiring department prior to making final hiring decisions.
Eligible List Duration: Six (6) Months
Applicants must complete the official online application. It is essential that applicants provide complete information in identifying their education, experience and training, and do not only attach a resume. The online application will used to evaluate if the applicant possesses the required minimum qualifications. Only candidates who demonstrate via the online application that they meet the minimum qualifications by the final filing date will advance in the selection process to the exam portion.
Once deemed qualified, candidates may participate in the exam process.
Supplemental Questionnaire (Weight 100%):
This is a standardized examination and, therefore, test questions and answers are not available for public inspection or review.
Note: Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed to advance through all of the steps in the selection process. The Department may utilize additional position-specific selection procedures to make a final hiring decision.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org).
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications. Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact Dianna Jou by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
- Information About The Hiring Process
- Conviction History
- Employee Benefits Overview
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Disaster Service Worker
- ADA Accommodation
- Veterans Preference
- Right to Work
- Copies of Application Documents
- Diversity Statement
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT: All City and County of San Francisco employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. For details on how it is applicable to your employment, please click here.
The Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and encourages women, minorities and persons with disabilities to apply. Applicants will be considered regardless of their sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, or other protected category under the law
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT: All City and County of San Francisco employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Someone is fully vaccinated when 14 days have passed since they received the final dose of a two-shot vaccine or a dose of a one-shot vaccine. Any new hire must present proof of full vaccination status to be appointed. Any new hire who will be routinely assigned or occasionally enter High-Risk Settings, must provide proof of having received a COVID-19 booster vaccine by March 1, 2022, or once eligible.
The City and County of San Francisco encourages women, minorities and persons with disabilities to apply. Applicants will be considered regardless of their sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (associated with cancer, a history of cancer, or genetic characteristics), HIV/AIDS status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, or other protected category under the law.