Licensed Vocational Nurse (2312) - H00018
Published: January 09, 2024
Contact:Stephen Lee - email@example.com
Apply using SmartRecruiters, the City and County of San Francisco's application portal Learn More
The Department of Public Health prioritizes equitable and inclusive access to quality healthcare for its community and values the importance of diversity in its workforce. All employees at the Department of Public Health work to advance equity, inclusion, and diversity with a specific lens and focus on race, ethnicity, gender, sex, sexuality, disability, and immigration status.
- Application Opening – October 12, 2022
- Application Deadline – Continuous
- Salary: $84,032 - $102,154 annually
- Appointment Type: Permanent Civil Service
- Recruitment ID: H00018
The Mission of the San Francisco Department of Public Health (SFDPH) is to protect and promote the health of all San Franciscans. SFDPH strives to achieve its mission through the work of two main Divisions - the San Francisco Health Network and Population Health. The San Francisco Health Network is the City’s only complete system of care and has locations throughout the City, including Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center, Laguna Honda Hospital and Rehabilitation Center, and over 15 primary care health centers.
START with this ⚠️ REQUIRED EXAM ✅
Then, submit an online application
Under supervision and according to physicians’ or registered nurses’ instructions, prepares, administers and records ordered medications and injections; obtains patient histories; observes, reports and records physiological and psychosocial signs; takes vital signs; maintains medical records; maintains a safe and clean environment, and performs related duties as required.
- Administers nursing care to patients according to physician’s and Registered Nurse’s instructions and approved nursing and departmental policies and procedures; as a team member, participates in planning and maintaining nursing care plans; assists physician in the performance of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures and treatments; prepares, administers and records ordered medications and injections.
- Provides direct patient care in order to make patient clean and comfortable; may serve and feed patients; may assist patient with elimination functions.
- Screens patients by obtaining histories; observes, reports and records physiological and psychological signs, symptoms and behaviors; takes vital signs; obtains specimens and may perform some required nursing diagnostic tests, such as guiac stools and sugar and acetone tests, etc.
- Keeps accurate records of administration of medications and treatments; makes reports of patient’s progress towards goals; maintains medical records in order to meet legal requirements and provide reference for follow-up of patients’ treatment and care.
- Maintains a safe, secure and clean environment; maintains adequate supplies and equipment in assigned area.
- Instructs and counsels patients relative to physical self care and emotional needs concerning test and specimen collections.
- Understands human relationships between patients, families and other health care personnel.
- Recognizes and understands the effect of social and economic problems as well as cultural backgrounds and religious affiliations of patients and their families.
- When working in specialized areas, and after training in special procedures pertaining to such areas, performs specialized procedures as approved by nursing service policy.
- The 2312 Licensed Vocational Nurse may perform other duties as assigned/required
How to qualify
- LICENSE: Possession of a valid permanent or temporary (including an interim permit) California Vocational Nurse License issued by the California State Board of Vocational Nurse Examiners.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirement by the final filing date unless otherwise noted.
Important Note: Please make sure it is absolutely clear in your application exactly how you meet the minimum qualifications. Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. Please be aware that any misrepresentation of this information may disqualify you from this recruitment or future job opportunities. For more information, visit https://sfdhr.org/information-about-hiring-process#verification:~:text=Verification%20of%20Experience%20and/or%20Education
What else should I know?
After application submission, candidates deemed qualified must complete all subsequent steps to advance in this selection process, which includes the following.
Minimum Qualification Supplemental Questionnaire (MQSQ): Candidates will be required to complete an MQSQ as part of the employment application. This MQSQ is designed to obtain specific information regarding an applicant's experience in relation to the Minimum Qualifications (MQ) for this position. The MQSQ will be used to evaluate if the applicant possesses the required minimum qualifications.
Training and Experience Evaluation (Weight: 100%): Candidates will be prompted to complete a Supplemental Questionnaire as part of the online employment application. The Supplemental Questionnaire is designed to measure knowledge, skills and/or abilities in job-related areas that have been identified as critical for satisfactory performance in this position.
Additional selection processes may be conducted by the hiring department prior to making final hiring decisions.
The certification rule for the eligible list resulting from this examination will be the Rule of the List.
Eligible List/Score Report:
Once you pass the exam, you will be placed onto an eligible list and given a score and a rank. For more information, visit https://careers.sf.gov/knowledge/process/
Candidate names will remain on the list for a maximum period of 12 months. Candidates that are not selected and expire off the list may re-apply.
How to apply:
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit careers.sf.gov and begin the application process.
Our e-mail communications may come from more than one department so please make sure your email is set to accept messages from all of us at this link.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this recruitment therefore, it is their responsibility to contact the Analyst if they update their email address.
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
Terms of Announcement and Appeal Rights:
Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. [Note: The correction of clerical errors in an announcement may be posted on the Department of Human Resources website at https://careers.sf.gov/. The terms of this announcement may be appealed under Civil Service Rule 110.4. Such appeals must be submitted in writing to the Department of Human Resources, 1 S Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103-5413 by close of business on the 5th business day following the issuance date of this examination announcement. Information concerning other Civil Service Commission Rules involving announcements, applications and examination policies, including applicant appeal rights, can be found on the Civil Service Commission website at http://sfgov.org/civilservice/rules.
DPH Health Critical Requirements and Information: Please review the following policies regarding DPH employment requirements that safeguard yourself and others.
- COVID-19 Policies
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Medical Examination Prior to Hiring
- Electronic Health Record (EHR)
- Note on ICARE
Additional information regarding Employment with the City and County of San Francisco:
- Information about the Hiring Process
- Conviction History
- Employee Benefits Overview
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Disaster Service Workers
- Reasonable Accommodation
- Right to Work
- Copies of Application Documents
- Diversity Statement
- Veterans Preference
- Seniority Credit in Promotional Exams
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT: All City and County of San Francisco employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Someone is fully vaccinated when 14 days have passed since they received the final dose of a two-shot vaccine or a dose of a one-shot vaccine. Any new hire must present proof of full vaccination status to be appointed. Any new hire who will be routinely assigned or occasionally enter High-Risk Settings, must provide proof of having received a COVID-19 booster vaccine by March 1, 2022, or once eligible.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the analyst, Stephen Lee at Stephen.J.Lee@sfdph.org or (628) 271-6838.
We may use text messaging to communicate with you on the phone number provided in your application. The first message will ask you to opt in to text messaging.
The City and County of San Francisco encourages women, minorities and persons with disabilities to apply. Applicants will be considered regardless of their sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (associated with cancer, a history of cancer, or genetic characteristics), HIV/AIDS status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, or other protected category under the law.