Licensed Vocational Nurse (2312) - H00018
Published: November 17, 2022
Contact:Ileana Enriquez - firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply using SmartRecruiters, the City and County of San Francisco's application portal Learn More
Job class: 2312-Licensed Vocational Nurse
Salary range: $81,978.00 - $99,658.00
Role type: Permanent Civil Service What does this mean?
Exam type: Continuous
Rule: Rule of the List What does this mean?
List type: Entrance
The Department of Public Health is accepting applications in class 2312 Licensed Vocational Nurse, for multiple positions at all DPH facilities, including Zuckerberg San Francisco General and Laguna Honda.
- START with this ⚠️ REQUIRED EXAM ✅
- THEN, to Submit your application, click "I'm Interested" or "Apply Now"
Don't see "I'm interested" or "Apply Now"? Click HERE.
- LASTLY, Look for a confirmation email (see HOW TO APPLY below for details)
- Application Opening: October 12, 2022
- Application Deadline: Continuous
- Annual Compensation: $39.4125 to $47.9125 hourly
- Recruitment ID: H00018
The Mission of the San Francisco Department of Public Health (SFDPH) is to protect and promote the health of all San Franciscans. SFDPH strives to achieve its mission through the work of two main Divisions - the San Francisco Health Network and Population Health.
The San Francisco Health Network is the City's only complete system of care and has locations throughout the City, including Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center, Laguna Honda Hospital and Rehabilitation Center, and over 15 primary care health centers.
**This recruitment is for multiple positions at all DPH facilities, including Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center (ZSFG), Laguna Honda Hospital and Rehabilitation Center (LHH), Community Primary Care and Mental Health Clinics, as well as San Francisco County Jails. Some positions may require employees to work directly with individuals within locked jails and psychiatric facilities, the homeless population and/or individuals who have or are carriers of infectious/communicable diseases. Additionally, part-time, evenings, nights, weekends, rotating and/or holiday shifts may be required. **
HOW TO APPLY
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit careers.sf.gov and begin the application process.
Select the “APPLY NOW” button and follow instructions on the screen.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this recruitment and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up to date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org, @famsf.org, @ccsf.edu, @smartalerts.info, and @smartrecruiters.com).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
DPH statement of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The Department of Public Health prioritizes equitable and inclusive access to quality healthcare for its community and values the diversity of its workforce. All employees are required to participate in the Department of Public Health's work to advance equity, inclusion, and diversity through:
- Commitment to providing exceptional care and services to all residents of the City and County of San Francisco service population, with heightened awareness of responsiveness to racially, ethnically, and culturally diverse members of the service population and the DPH workforce.
- Desire and commitment to lead and participate in anti-racism, racial justice, and equity work that improves quality of patient care and employee experiences; along with the commitment and fortitude to drive change in these areas.
- Desire to work with, relate to, serve, and support a diverse service population and workforce.
- Commitment to health equity with a specific lens and focus on race, ethnicity, gender, sex, sexuality, disability, and immigration status.
Under supervision and according to physicians’ or registered nurses’ instructions, prepares, administers and records ordered medications and injections; obtains patient histories; observes, reports and records physiological and psychosocial signs; takes vital signs; maintains medical records; maintains a safe and clean environment, and performs related duties as required.
- Administers nursing care to patients according to physician’s and Registered Nurse’s instructions and approved nursing and departmental policies and procedures; as a team member, participates in planning and maintaining nursing care plans; assists physician in the performance of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures and treatments; prepares, administers and records ordered medications and injections.
- Provides direct patient care in order to make patient clean and comfortable; may serve and feed patients; may assist patient with elimination functions.
- Screens patients by obtaining histories; observes, reports and records physiological and psychological signs, symptoms and behaviors; takes vital signs; obtains specimens and may perform some required nursing diagnostic tests, such as guiac stools and sugar and acetone tests, etc.
- Keeps accurate records of administration of medications and treatments; makes reports of patient’s progress towards goals; maintains medical records in order to meet legal requirements and provide reference for follow-up of patients’ treatment and care.
- Maintains a safe, secure and clean environment; maintains adequate supplies and equipment in assigned area.
- Instructs and counsels patients relative to physical self care and emotional needs concerning test and specimen collections.
- Understands human relationships between patients, families and other health care personnel.
- Recognizes and understands the effect of social and economic problems as well as cultural backgrounds and religious affiliations of patients and their families.
- When working in specialized areas, and after training in special procedures pertaining to such areas, performs specialized procedures as approved by nursing service policy.
The Licensed Vocational Nurse (2312) performs other related duties as assigned.
How to qualify
Minimum Qualification: Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirement by the final filing date unless otherwise noted.
- LICENSE: Possession of a valid permanent or temporary (including an interim permit) California Vocational Nurse License issued by the California State Board of Vocational Nurse Examiners.
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certificate Requirement / Provision:
Possession of a valid Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certificate issued by the American Heart Association is required as a provision to employment for all positions. Candidates who do not possess such a certification may participate in this process and be appointed to a position(s), but will be required to obtain the certificate within two (2) weeks of hire date and maintain validity throughout length of employment. A photocopy of the valid Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certificate must be provided to the appropriate supervisor of the appointment within the allotted time frame. Failure to demonstrate/show proof of possession of valid certification within two (2) weeks of hire date and throughout length of employment may result in dismissal and/or termination of employment.
Please provide proof of your certification by uploading your certificate to your application.
Valid licensure and/or Certification must be kept current throughout length of employment. Failure to demonstrate/show proof of possession of required valid licensure and/or certification may result in dismissal and/or termination of employment.
Important Note: Please be clear in your application exactly how you meet the minimum qualifications listed above. Only the information entered in your application will be considered when determining whether you meet minimum qualifications. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed City and County of San Francisco application. Applications that do not appear to meet the minimum qualifications will not move forward in the recruitment process. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered. Please upload certificates, transcripts, employment verifications, performance appraisals, etc. that you feel will help demonstrate that you meet the minimum qualifications.
Verification: Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. Failure to provide the required verification when requested may result in rejection of application and/or appointment in this class. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
What else should I know?
Minimum Qualification Supplemental Questionnaire (Weight: Qualifying): Candidates will be prompted to complete a Supplemental Questionnaire as part of the online employment application. This Minimum Qualification Supplemental Questionnaire is designed to obtain specific information regarding an applicant's experience in relation to the Minimum Qualifications for this position. Applicants must also complete the official application. It is essential that applicants provide complete information in identifying their education, experience and training. The Minimum Qualification Supplemental Questionnaire will be used to evaluate if the applicant possesses the required minimum qualifications.
Training and Experience Evaluation (Weight: 100%): Candidates will be prompted to complete a Supplemental Questionnaire as part of the online employment application. The Supplemental Questionnaire is designed to measure knowledge, skills and/or abilities in job-related areas that have been identified as critical for satisfactory performance in this position.
All relevant experience, education and/or training must be included in the application to be reviewed during the scoring process. Candidate responses on the Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be changed once submitted. Candidates will be placed on the eligible list in rank order according to their final score on the Supplemental Questionnaire. The department may administer additional position-specific selection procedures to make final hiring decisions.
Eligible List/Score Report: A confidential eligible list of applicant names that have passed the civil service examination process will be created, and used for certification purposes only. An examination score report will be established, so applicants can view the ranks, final scores and number of eligible candidates. Applicant information, including names of applicants on the eligible list, shall not be made public unless required by law. However, an eligible list shall be made available for public inspection, upon request, once the eligible list is exhausted or expired and referrals resolved. The eligible list/score report resulting from this civil service examination process is subject to change after adoption (e.g., as a result of appeals), as directed by the Human Resources Director or the Civil Service Commission.
Upon passing the exam, candidates will be placed on the eligible list for a period of 12 months.
Certification: Certification rule for the eligible list resulting from this examination will be Rule of the List.
Terms of Announcement: Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. [Note: The correction of clerical errors in an announcement will be posted on the Department of Human Resources website at careers.sf.gov.] The terms of this announcement may be appealed under Civil Service Rule 110.4. Such appeals must be submitted in writing to the Department of Human Resources, 1 S Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103-5413 by close of business on the 5th business day following the issuance date of this examination announcement. Information concerning other Civil Service Commission Rules involving announcements, applications and examination policies, including applicant appeal rights, can be found on the Civil Service Commission website at http://sfgov.org/civilservice/rules.
Additional Information Regarding Employment with the City and County of San Francisco:
- COVID-19 Policies
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Medical Examination Prior to Hiring
- Electronic Health Record (EHR)
- Note on ICARE
- Other Conditions of Employment and Important Information
- Information About the Hiring Process
- Conviction History
- Employee Benefits Overview
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Disaster Service Worker
- ADA Accommodations
- Veteran's Preference
- Seniority Credit in Promotional Examinations
- Right to Work
- Copies of Application Documents
- Diversity Statement
Recruitment Analyst Information: If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact Ileana Enriquez at email@example.com. Please respond to the application confirmation email if you already applied.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT: All City and County of San Francisco employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Someone is fully vaccinated when 14 days have passed since they received the final dose of a two-shot vaccine or a dose of a one-shot vaccine. Any new hire must present proof of full vaccination status to be appointed. Any new hire who will be routinely assigned or occasionally enter High-Risk Settings, must provide proof of having received a COVID-19 booster vaccine by March 1, 2022, or once eligible.
The City and County of San Francisco encourages women, minorities and persons with disabilities to apply. Applicants will be considered regardless of their sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (associated with cancer, a history of cancer, or genetic characteristics), HIV/AIDS status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, or other protected category under the law.