Senior IT Engineer - Department of Technology (1043)
Published: March 15, 2023
Contact:Carol Wong - firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply using SmartRecruiters, the City and County of San Francisco's application portal Learn More
This announcement has been updated to adjust the Company Description.
IMPORTANT: Your application MUST include responses to the supplemental questionnaire found here: https://forms.office.com/g/vMTQC379pJ
Applicants must complete the supplemental questionnaire prior to starting the online application process. The application will not be reviewed without a completed supplemental questionnaire.
Why Work for the Department of Technology (DT)? DT is the centralized technology services provider in the City and County of San Francisco (CCSF). We deliver technology infrastructure and services to approximately 33,000 employees! With an annual operating budget of over $140M and approximately 260 employees, DT provides a host of services that range from Public Safety radio and wiring and Network services to Enterprise Support and the Cloud.
Benefits of Working for CCSF: In addition to challenging and rewarding work, the City provides a generous suite of benefits to its employees.
- Job security, pension, and robust retirement options
- Competitive pay with consistent bi-yearly or yearly increases
- Hybrid Work with a minimum of 20% of time spent in our office in San Francisco, California for all IT related roles
- Generous paid time off, family leave, and more!
- Diverse work environment in a diverse city
- Union protections and representation
- Career development and growth — move between departments, learn on the job, or take subsidized/reimbursed classes!
PEOPLE-CENTERED SOLUTIONS — have a powerful, meaningful effect on the community each day with people at the heart of every solution!
CLOSING THE DIGITAL DIVIDE — bring the benefits of the internet to low-income and marginalized residents!
SHINE A LIGHT ON WHAT MATTERS — join an award-winning production team at SFGovTV to help residents watch legislators or learn more about what makes this City great!
DRIVE INNOVATION — deliver new, cutting-edge technology to residents and city partners to help San Francisco serve its residents!
The Cyber Architecture and Assurance team is one of four teams in the Office of Cybersecurity, focused on developing cybersecurity policies and standards, ensuring application and platform architectures and implementations meet OCS (Office of Cybersecurity) cybersecurity standards. We are active in empowering IT groups throughout the City and County in their risk mitigation practices, providing real-time assurance data and toolsets to IT professionals and management throughout the City and County enterprise. We are a service-oriented, dynamic and diverse group, who are firmly committed to our mission. The Office of Cybersecurity is helmed by the City Chief Information Officer (CCISO).
The Cyber Assurance Program project is moving into its compliance phase. As we continue to enhance the program, expand our visibility, gaining critical security intelligence, we are seeking to align and empower City IT stakeholders with cybersecurity best practices, actively remediating risk in accordance with established policies, automating many of the operational security practices needed to ensure the protection of City and County department and constituent data. One of the primary assurance tools our team utilizes is the Tanium platform. This position will work closely with our current principal engineer in maintaining and leveraging all aspects of the platform to realize OCS assurance program and project objectives.
We are seeking a highly motivated and technically experienced contributor to serve as a Tanium administrator, engineer, and thought leader to serve as partner to our lead Tanium engineer, and to assist in our mission of reducing cyber risk throughout the City and County, reporting to the Chief Cybersecurity Architect, who leads the OCS Cyber Architecture and Assurance team. As a Senior Assurance Engineer, you will be responsible for maintaining, promoting, training and leveraging our Tanium platform in service to Assurance program objectives and cybersecurity IT stakeholders throughout the City and County, among other duties described pertaining to our general mission.
- Deploy, configure, maintain, secure, assess, troubleshoot and optimize cyber assurance platforms, interfacing with vendor support and or Technical Account Managers as needed.
- Onboard, train and support cyber assurance platform users, supporting departments in assessing and remediating risk throughout the City enterprise.
- Develop Tanium based content and deploy solutions addressing a range of use cases for use by City and County Information Technology and Cybersecurity staff for Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- Recommend, assess, and assist departments in their compliance, security, and risk reduction efforts pertaining to all elements of Information Technology including operating systems, networks, and data storage.
- Develop and maintain documentation, policies, trainings and FAQs as needed.
- Assess and report on department or agency compliance with Office of Cybersecurity policies, department/ group security posture, and related challenges.
- Provide data and or Information Technology security guidance as a consultant for enterprise, department, and internal Department of Technology projects, requests, procurements, and change controls.
- Assist in developing cyber assurance related objectives and projects to meet those objectives. Work with departments and or internal teams to meet project objectives.
- Conduct department and agency outreach, surveys and program development.
The Permanent Exempt - Full Time position is excluded by the Charter from the competitive civil service examination process and shall serve at the discretion of the appointment officer. The anticipated duration of this project position is thirty-six (36) months and will not result in an eligible list or permanent civil service hiring.
Nature of Work:
Incumbent must be willing to work a 40-hour week as determined by the department.
Incumbent will conduct the majority of work at the Department of Technology, One South Van Ness Avenue, 2nd Floor. However, there may be situations where the incumbent will be required to work at other sites throughout the City of San Francisco as necessary. This position is not supporting 100% working remotely that employee needs to work two days in the office every two weeks.
How to qualify
An associate degree in computer science or a closely related field from an accredited college or university OR its equivalent in terms of total course credits/units [i.e., at least sixty (60) semester or ninety (90) quarter credits/units with a minimum of twenty (20) semester or thirty (30) quarter credits/units in computer science or a closely-related field].
Three (3) years of experience analyzing, installing, configuring, enhancing, and/or maintaining the components of cyber assurance related platforms.
Additional experience as described above may be substituted for the required degree on a year-for-year basis (up to a maximum of two (2) years). One (1) year is equivalent to thirty (30) semester units/ forty-five (45) quarter units with a minimum of 10 semester / 15 quarter units in computer science or a closely related field.
Desirable Qualifications: The stated desirable qualifications may be used to identify job finalists at the end of the selection process when candidates are referred to hiring.
- 4 years’ experience of Linux and Microsoft Windows server administration and support
- 3 years’ experience of network infrastructure experience with firewalls and routers
- 3 years’ experience using endpoint operations management software such as Tanium, Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) or similar platform
- Comprehensive Tanium experience - Tanium Certified Operator (TCO) or Tanium Certified Administrator (TCA) preferred
- CompTIA Security + , Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) or similar security related certification
- VMware virtualization or Amazon WEB Services (AWS) or Microsoft Azure Cloud Services experience
- Microsoft Server Operating System certification
- Intermediate Linux administration and BASH script development
- PowerShell, Python or VBScript script development
- Palo Alto firewall administration experience
- macOS desktop management and support experience
- Windows desktop management and support experience
- Self-starter, strong detail and service oriented, motivated, and excellent follow through are attributes needed for this position
1. SECURITY CLEARANCES AND BACKGROUND INVESTIGATIONS: Positions in this classiﬁcation may require that successful candidates who become eligible for appointment may be required to go through a background investigation to determine the candidate’s suitability for employment in this classiﬁcation. Factors considered in the investigation may include employment history, use of illegal/controlled substances. Reasons for rejection based on this investigation may include, but not limited to: applicable convictions, repeated or serious violations of the law, inability to accept supervision, inability to follow rules and regulations, falsiﬁcation of application materials and/or other relevant factors. Failure to obtain and maintain security clearance may be basis for termination.
Verification: “Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at https://sfdhr.org/how-verify-education-requirements”
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed City and County of San Francisco application.
What else should I know?
$67.0875 - $84.4000 (hourly) / $139,542 - $175,552 (annually)
How to Apply:
- Your application MUST include a resume. To upload, please attach using the "additional attachments" function.
- You MUST fill out the supplemental questionnaire: https://forms.office.com/g/vMTQC379pJ
You may contact Carol Wong via email at email@example.com with questions regarding this opportunity.
Late or incomplete submissions will not be considered. Mailed, hand delivered or faxed documents/applications will not be accepted.
Right to Work:
All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
- Information About The Hiring Process
- Conviction History
- Employee Benefits Overview
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Disaster Service Worker
- ADA Accommodation
- Veterans Preference
- Right to Work
- Copies of Application Documents
- Diversity Statement
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT: All City and County of San Francisco employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Someone is fully vaccinated when 14 days have passed since they received the final dose of a two-shot vaccine or a dose of a one-shot vaccine. Any new hire must present proof of full vaccination status to be appointed. Any new hire who will be routinely assigned or occasionally enter High-Risk Settings, must provide proof of having received a COVID-19 booster vaccine by March 1, 2022, or once eligible.
The City and County of San Francisco encourages women, minorities and persons with disabilities to apply. Applicants will be considered regardless of their sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (associated with cancer, a history of cancer, or genetic characteristics), HIV/AIDS status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, or other protected category under the law.