Custodian - Camp Mather (Outside of San Francisco) - Rec and Parks (2708)
Published: February 06, 2023
Contact:Antonio Archuleta - email@example.com
Apply using SmartRecruiters, the City and County of San Francisco's application portal Learn More
NOTE: Applicants must complete the supplemental questionnaire found in the Additional Information section of this job announcement in addition to submitting an application. Only applicants who submit both an application AND supplemental questionnaire will be considered for participation in the department's selection process.
Amid a dynamic and ever-evolving urban landscape, the San Francisco Recreation and Park Department stewards one of the premier urban park systems in America. San Francisco recently became the first city in the United States for which 100% of its residents live within a ten-minute walk of a park. Considered by San Franciscans to be one of the City’s most popular and effective public agencies, our Department manages and maintains more than 225 parks, playgrounds, and open spaces in San Francisco, including two outside of city limits: Sharp Park in Pacifica and Camp Mather in the High Sierras. Our 4,100- acre system includes 25 recreation centers, 9 swimming pools, 5 golf courses and numerous athletic facilities, including sports courts, ball diamonds, soccer fields and gymnasiums. Included in the department’s responsibilities are Golden Gate Park, Coit Tower, the Marina Yacht Harbor, the Palace of Fine Arts, and TPC Harding Park golf course.
More than 2,000 talented individuals are part of our team, from gardeners, foresters, and recreation leaders to park rangers, custodians, electricians, painters and more. Our core mission, as it has been throughout our history, is to provide opportunities for San Francisco residents and visitors alike to gather, play, learn, relax, and enjoy nature in the city.
About Camp Mather
Each summer, RPD operates Camp Mather, a rustic family campground located near Yosemite National Park, approximately 3 hours east of San Francisco. Each week, about 500 campers enjoy a week-long stay at Camp Mather; enjoying a full range of recreation activities such as a supervised swimming pool and a lake for water activities, supervised recreation programs, hiking, and evening campfire entertainment. Guests stay in cabins, and enjoy 3 delicious meals each day, served cafeteria style with a full salad bar and excellent service.
Learn more about Camp Mather on YouTube: https://youtu.be/2S_JZ4kKr5I
Under supervision, the 2708 Custodian performs routine manual cleaning tasks in public buildings, other facilities and surrounding areas; and performs related duties as required.
Examples of Important and Essential Duties:
1. Performing routine and extensive cleaning tasks of Camp Mather facilities (i.e., restrooms, cabins, staff housing, food service areas) including sweeping, dusting, polishing, mopping, vacuuming, scrubbing and disinfecting;
2. Maintaining exterior areas of Camp Mather such as ramps, sidewalks, loading docks, decks, parking lots and other related areas;
3. Operation of equipment such as scrubbers, buffers, pressure washers and other electrical, gas, and manual operated equipment;
4. Performing housekeeping duties including washing/rotating of linens, refilling of toiletries, restocking of amenities and keeping high cleanliness standard of our specialist cabins;
5. Transferring disposable waste materials from Camp Mather grounds to dumpsters;
6. Assisting in moving and arranging furniture and equipment as needed;
7. Washing interior and exterior wall partitions and windows;
8. Maintaining condition of custodial tool, supplies, equipment, and appliances;
9. Maintaining storage of custodial tools and supplies; securing building as required; and
10. Effectively communicating with supervisors and co-workers on a regular basis about operational concerns and required materials;
11. Provide excellent customer service to camp patrons on a regular basis; and
12. performs additional duties as required.
Policies and Expectations of Staff
Employees are expected to follow the policies as described in the 2023 Camp Mather Pre-Hire Policies. Failure to follow these policies may result in termination.
Work Conditions at Camp Mather
Housing and Meals: During employment, FREE meals and housing is provided to camp employees. Camp staff live in shared housing with other camp staff.
Nature of work: Includes working both indoors and outdoors, exposure to inclement weather including sun, rain, snow, high/low temperatures, and potentially wildfire smoke, exposure to cleaning chemical and will regularly encounter insects.
Work Schedule: The workweek is six (6) days, comprising of small shifts throughout the day. Shifts includes weekends and evenings. Overtime may be required.
Work Location: Camp Mather is located in the High Sierra near Yosemite National Park about 3 hours east of San Francisco.
Transportation: Camp Mather employees are responsible for securing their own transportation to and from Camp Mather. Parking is available for personal vehicles. Public transportation and Rideshare Apps (Uber/Lyft) is limited and is not a reliable source because of our remote location.
Cell Phone & Internet: Camp Mather has VERY limited cellular and Internet/Wi-Fi services available on its grounds.
Available Work Assignments: Camp Mather operates in three phases. Applicants are available to apply for any or all camp phases, however, hiring priority for this position is given to those who can work the Early Crew, High Season AND Wrap-up Crew, in part or in full.
- April 15 to May 19 (Early Crew)
- May 20 to August 18 (High Season)
- August 19 to September 24 (Wrap-up Crew)
Appointment Type: This position is a temporary exempt, as-needed appointment. This position is seasonal and will not result in an eligible list for a permanent civil service position. Employees serve at the will of the Appointing Officer.
How to qualify
1. Six (6) months (1040 hours) verifiable paid full-time custodial or janitorial experience at a commercial building (such as an office building, warehouse, retail or wholesale store, or non-profit agency or a commercial facility (such as a university, hospital stadium, auditorium, hotel/motel, etc.);
2. Certificate of completion of a Custodial Training Program equivalent to those certified by the City and County of San Francisco Human Services Agency;
3.Verification of current enrollment in a custodial training course equivalent to those certified by the City and County of San Francisco Human Services Agency at the time of application. Candidates who are enrolled in a custodial training course at the time of application must submit verification of having completed the course (e.g., a copy of their certificate), prior to appointment. Candidates will remain under waiver until such time that verification is provided.
Verification of Education and Experience:
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. More information can be found at: Information About the Hiring Process | Department of Human Resources (sfdhr.org)
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
What else should I know?
Contact: For questions about this position or how to apply, please contact Shawnda McBeth at firstname.lastname@example.org
Compensation: $29.50 per hour
Application Deadline: Apply Immediately. This announcement may close at any time but not before January 23, 2023 @ 4:30 pm
Steps to Apply:
- Carefully review the information presented in this job announcement and the 2023 Camp Mather Pre-Hire Policy: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eqPvmnm7n3lPZ4-60TD3OtcJQCIzW6UJ/view?usp=share_link
- Complete your application with as much detail as possible in the experience section. Please be sure to include all relevant training and experience in your application. It is essential that you provide complete information. A resume will not substitute for a completed application. If you write "see resume" on your application, your application may be rejected.
- Complete the required supplemental questionnaire found here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/3MQGCZL. The purpose of this questionnaire is to gather job specific information. Only applications with a submitted supplemental questionnaire will be reviewed for consideration in the department's selection process.
- Complete the "Additional Information" questionnaire you will receive via email after submitting your application.
Selection Process: The selection process will include evaluation of applications in relation to the minimum qualifications and response to the Supplemental Questionnaire. Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement to the interview. Depending on the number of applicants, the Department may establish and implement additional screening mechanisms to comparatively evaluate the qualifications of candidates. If this becomes necessary, only those applicants whose qualifications most closely meet the needs of the Department will be invited for an interview.
Race and Social Equity Statement
We believe that parks and open space in San Francisco provides the opportunity to model equitable access for all. With this belief, San Francisco became the first city in the United States for which 100% of its residents live within a ten-minute walk of a park. The Recreation and Park Department’s goal is to close the gaps and improve equity and access to quality parks and open space, and recreation activities for historically marginalized communities.
We envision a department that proactively infuses racial and social equity in its internal operations. With a multi-disciplinary team of talented individuals - gardeners, recreation leaders, park rangers, custodians, craft shop personnel, park and recreation managers and more, the department is committed to doing its part to provide equitable access to parks and programs for all the communities we serve to enjoy, as well as foster a work environment where our differences are celebrated, and everyone has what they need to thrive regardless of their race, age, ability, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, or country of origin.
Additional Information Regarding Employment with the City and County of San Francisco
- Information About The Hiring Process
- Position Based Testing Information
- Conviction History
- Employee Benefits Overview
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Disaster Service Worker
- ADA Accommodation
- Veterans Preference
- Right to Work
- Copies of Application Documents
- Diversity Statement
Candidates for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT: All City and County of San Francisco employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Someone is fully vaccinated when 14 days have passed since they received the final dose of a two-shot vaccine or a dose of a one-shot vaccine. Any new hire must present proof of full vaccination status to be appointed. Any new hire who will be routinely assigned or occasionally enter High-Risk Settings, must provide proof of having received a COVID-19 booster vaccine by March 1, 2022, or once eligible.
The City and County of San Francisco encourages women, minorities and persons with disabilities to apply. Applicants will be considered regardless of their sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (associated with cancer, a history of cancer, or genetic characteristics), HIV/AIDS status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, or other protected category under the law.