Linux SysOps Infrastructure Support Engineer - Department of Technology (1043)
Published: August 24, 2023
Contact:Carol Wong - firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply using SmartRecruiters, the City and County of San Francisco's application portal Learn More
This announcement has been updated to adjust the Company Description.
IMPORTANT: Your application MUST include responses to the supplemental Questionnaire found here: HERE
Applicants must complete the supplemental questionnaire prior to starting the online application process. Application will not be reviewed without completed supplemental questionnaire.
Why Work for the Department of Technology (DT)? DT is the centralized technology services provider in the City and County of San Francisco (CCSF). We deliver technology infrastructure and services to approximately 33,000 employees! With an annual operating budget of over $140M and approximately 260 employees, DT provides a host of services that range from Public Safety radio and wiring and Network services to Enterprise Support and the Cloud.
Benefits of Working for CCSF: In addition to challenging and rewarding work, the City provides a generous suite of benefits to its employees.
- Job security, pension, and robust retirement options
- Competitive pay with consistent bi-yearly or yearly increases
- Hybrid Work with a minimum of 20% of time spent in our office in San Francisco, California for all IT related roles
- Generous paid time off, family leave, and more!
- Diverse work environment in a diverse city
- Union protections and representation
- Career development and growth — move between departments, learn on the job, or take subsidized/reimbursed classes!
PEOPLE-CENTERED SOLUTIONS — have a powerful, meaningful effect on the community each day with people at the heart of every solution!
CLOSING THE DIGITAL DIVIDE — bring the benefits of the internet to low-income and marginalized residents!
SHINE A LIGHT ON WHAT MATTERS — join an award-winning production team at SFGovTV to help residents watch legislators or learn more about what makes this City great!
DRIVE INNOVATION — deliver new, cutting-edge technology to residents and city partners to help San Francisco serve its residents!
The City and County of San Francisco, Department of Technology (DT), is seeking an experienced Linux Sysops Infrastructure Support Engineer work with existing team in Accessing and Planning for the migration of virtual and physical hardware environments from multiple City department’s managed infrastructure to centrally managed CCSF infrastructure.
- The primary responsibility of the Linux SysOps Support Engineer will be the effective operation, maintenance and administration of Linux VMs & associated subsystems.
- The Linux SysOps Support Engineer is responsible for production scheduling and control, reports distribution, service level support, backup, recovery, capacity and disaster recovery planning, installation/configuration operations & maintenance of systems hardware and software on but not limited to a private cloud infrastructure.
- The Linux SysOps Support Engineer is responsible for administering, managing, provisioning, template creation of virtual servers running various operating systems including multiple Linux variations and Windows VMs.
- The Linux SysOps Support Engineer must possess knowledge and necessary skills and understanding of automation tools and scripting languages.
- Provide technical knowledge and configuration of Linux and Windows OS
- In this position the incumbent must have the ability to determine, plan & understand the complexities of enterprise systems, networking components & requirements to plan for or enhance the needs of the Linux system & associated subsystems and network.
- Solve problems with minimal disruption to the system or network.
- Exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in designing, planning, troubleshooting and integration of the complex systems based on the potential benefits and/or consequences.
- Develop alternative solutions within established guidelines and standards.
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Establish good working relationships with other IS professionals, vendors, management and departments.
- Read and understand professional journals, manuals and literature; and prioritize competing requests for service.
- The 1043 Linux SysOps Support Engineer assignments are in a highly technical area, will support the systems located in multiple data centers which support a large enterprise computing environment.
- This is a (24x7) days operation Center and support is extremely needed for projects and on-going support.
- The Linux SysOps Support Engineer will provide functional and technical expertise; develop and/or modify procedures to solve engineered systems & associated sub-system issues; perform multiple software functions and support other various hardware platforms.
- The Linux SysOps Support Engineer is responsible for assisting in the management, administering & supporting of Public Cloud Infrastructure (GCP, AWS, Azure)
The Permanent Exempt - Full Time position is excluded by the Charter from the competitive civil service examination process and shall serve at the discretion of the appointment officer. The anticipated duration of this project position is thirty-six (36) months and will not result in an eligible list or permanent civil service hiring.
Nature of Work:
Incumbent must be willing to work a 40-hour week as determined by the department. The position may also require sufficient physical strength and coordination for lifting, pushing, pulling and/or carrying the weight of computer systems equipment. The position may also require the following: bending, stooping and/or crawling in order to install or repair computer systems hardware, hand/eye coordination and manual dexterity for taking apart casings, installing parts and reconnecting computer systems hardware. Depending on location the incumbent may be exposed to or affected by extensive VDT exposure.
Incumbent will conduct the majority of work at the Department of Technology, One South Van Ness Avenue, 2nd Floor. However, there may be situations where the incumbent will be required to work at other sites throughout the City of San Francisco as necessary. This position is not supporting 100% working remotely that employee needs to work two days in the office every two weeks.
How to qualify
An associate degree in computer science or a closely related field from an accredited college or university OR its equivalent in terms of total course credits/units [i.e., at least sixty (60) semester or ninety (90) quarter credits/units with a minimum of twenty (20) semester or thirty (30) quarter credits/units in computer science or a closely-related field].
Three (3) years of experience analyzing, installing, configuring, enhancing, and/or maintaining the components of an enterprise network.
Additional experience as described above may be substituted for the required degree on a year-for-year basis (up to a maximum of two (2) years). One (1) year is equivalent to thirty (30) semester units/ forty-five (45) quarter units with a minimum of 10 semester / 15 quarter units in computer science or a closely related field.
- Must be self-motivated with time management skills
- Senior engineer level understanding of Unix/Linux Operating Systems: Red Hat, Solaris, CentOS
- Virtualization: VMware
- Storage: Network Appliance, EMC, Pillar
- Strong SAN, NAS knowledge
- Hands-on Experience with Hardware - Not afraid to get hands dirty in debugging and fixing System and Infrastructure Problems
- Automation of Routine Tasks via scripts, tools and technology to simplify system management and troubleshooting
- Solid knowledge of networking technologies and concepts, Routing Protocols, DNS, SMTP, HTTP, SFTP
- Strong technical aptitude and ability to research and solve complex issues independently
- Ability to effectively communicate updates, issues and resolutions to all levels of the organization
- Solid understanding of Sever/Application deployment techniques, methodologies, and tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (emphasis on documentations
- 3-5 Years related experience
- Advanced knowledge of Unix installations, upgrades and troubleshooting.
- Sr Level knowledge of Public Cloud infrastructure primarily in AWS and GCP.
1) Medical Testing: Prior to appointment, eligible candidates must successfully pass the TB testing process.
2) Security Clearances & Background Investigations: Positions in this classification may require that successful candidates who become eligible for appointment may be required to go through a background investigation to determine the candidate's suitability for employment in this classification. Factors considered in the investigation may include employment history, use of illegal/controlled substances. Reasons for rejection based on this investigation may include, but not limited to applicable convictions, repeated or serious violations of the law, inability to accept supervision, inability to follow rules and regulations, falsification of application materials and/or other relevant factors. Failure to obtain and maintain security clearance may be basis for termination.
Verification: Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point in the application and/or departmental selection process. Written verification (proof) of qualifying experience must verify that the applicant meets the minimum qualifications stated on the announcement. Written verification must be submitted on employer’s official letterhead, specifying name of employee, dates of employment, types of employment (part-time/full-time), job title(s), description of duties performed, and the verification must be signed by the employer. City employees will receive credit for the duties of the class to which they are appointed. Credit for experience obtained outside of the employee’s class will be allowed only if recorded in accordance with the provisions of the Civil Service Commission Rules. Experience claimed in self-employment must be supported by documents verifying income, earnings, business license and experience comparable to the minimum qualifications of the position. Copies of income tax papers or other documents listing occupations and total earnings must be submitted. If education verification is required, information on how to verify education requirements, including verifying foreign education credits or degree equivalency, can be found at http://sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=456.
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
What else should I know?
Compensation: $67.0875 - $84.4000 (hourly) / $139,542 - $175,552 (annual)
How to Apply:
- Your application MUST include a resume. To upload, please attach using the "additional attachments" function.
- our application MUST include responses to the supplemental Questionnaire: Supplemental Questionnaire.
You may contact Carol Wong via email at email@example.com with questions regarding this opportunity.
Late or incomplete submissions will not be considered. Mailed, hand delivered or faxed documents/applications will not be accepted.
- Information About The Hiring Process
- Conviction History
- Employee Benefits Overview
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Disaster Service Worker
- ADA Accommodation
- Veterans Preference
- Right to Work
- Copies of Application Documents
- Diversity Statement
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
The City and County of San Francisco encourages women, minorities and persons with disabilities to apply. Applicants will be considered regardless of their sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (associated with cancer, a history of cancer, or genetic characteristics), HIV/AIDS status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, or other protected category under the law.