2920 Medical Social Worker (DPH)
Published: September 18, 2023
Contact:Maggie Gonzalez Diaz - firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply using SmartRecruiters, the City and County of San Francisco's application portal Learn More
The Department of Public Health prioritizes equitable and inclusive access to quality healthcare for its community and values the importance of diversity in its workforce. All employees at the Department of Public Health work to advance equity, inclusion, and diversity with a specific lens and focus on race, ethnicity, gender, sex, sexuality, disability, and immigration status.
- Application Opening – Monday, July 3, 2023
- Application Deadline – the application filing will be open continuously at least through July 17, 2023, and will close any time thereafter.
- Salary: $49.8625 - $60.5875 hourly (Click here for more information).
- Recruitment ID: TEX-2920-EXEMPT
Appointment Type: Temporary Exempt. Some positions are limited to 1,040 work hours in a year while other positions can last up to 2 years. In accordance with San Francisco Charter Section 10.104, exempt employees serve at the discretion of the appointing authority. Exempt employees are considered "at-will" and serve at the discretion of the department head.
SHIFTS: Varied. Days, evening, nights, weekends and/or holiday shifts may be required, depending on position.
There are currently two shifts available:
- Shift 1: 8:30 AM to 4 PM, weekdays; 3 days minimum, working consecutive days is preferred.
- Shift 2: 7 AM to 5:30 PM (10-hour shifts), weekends (Saturday and Sunday).
The Mission of the San Francisco Department of Public Health (SFDPH) is to protect and promote the health of all San Franciscans. SFDPH strives to achieve its mission through the work of two main Divisions - the San Francisco Health Network and Population Health. The San Francisco Health Network is the City’s only complete system of care and has locations throughout the City, including Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center, Laguna Honda Hospital and Rehabilitation Center, and over 15 primary care health centers.
The applicant pool resulting from this recruitment may be utilized to fill future and current vacancies in this class at other locations within the DPH.
Under general supervision, the 2920 Medical Social Worker performs routine medical social work duties; evaluates social, emotional, and physical needs of clients; interviews clients and their families and significant others; provides supportive counseling or crisis intervention; conducts mandatory reporting activities; advocates on behalf of clients; provides discharge planning, service coordination, psychoeducation, and case management; and performs related duties as required.
The essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Evaluates social, emotional, and physical needs of clients by applying social work theories. Helps clients cope with the environmental and psychological issues of illness by explaining options and treatments as well as making appropriate referrals.
- Provides supportive counseling or crisis intervention to clients and/or their significant others, families, or friends or may provide referral services to therapists or mental health providers.
- Interviews clients, their families, and significant others to obtain intake information, reviews financial status and screen eligibility for entitlement programs.
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary health care teams to treat and plan for the psychosocial and medical needs of patients by consulting with other providers and making referrals. Devises, develops, and implements treatment plans, as necessary. May make a diagnosis as part of a treatment plan.
- Conducts mandatory reporting activities by completing reports (CPS, APS, elder abuse, and domestic violence reports) in specific timeframes and completing appropriate documents.
- Prepares records to document case activity including pertinent statistical reports, chart notes, correspondence, and other agency forms to monitor and assess client's progress.
- Advocates on behalf of clients with agencies, medical practitioners and within the community.
- Conducts home visits when necessary to survey living situation of clients for accessibility and to determine the need for further services.
- Provides discharge planning and/or service coordination and linkage by analyzing client needs, coordinates with other members of treatment teams and refers clients to outside services and community agencies. Research community resources, makes appropriate referrals, and helps facilitate medical treatment and arranges follow-up care.
The 2920 Medical Social Worker also performs other related duties as required.
How to qualify
EDUCATION: Possession of a Master's Degree in Social Work (MSW) from a school of social work fully accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE); AND
EXPERIENCE: Six (6) months (1,000 hours) of social work experience in a health care setting. This experience may be gained from supervised field placement during the Master's in Social Work (MSW) program or from post-graduate social work experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience in inpatient, outpatient, or home health based social work.
- Willingness to uphold/abide by ZSFG’s ICARE (I-Introduce, C-Connect, A-Ask, R-Respond, E-Exit) philosophy for employee and patient interactions: https://zuckerbergsanfranciscogeneral.org/about-us/.
The stated desirable qualifications may be used to identify job finalists at the end of the selection process when candidates are referred for hiring.
NOTE: One year of full-time employment is equivalent to 2,000 hours (2,000 hours of qualifying work experience is based on a 40-hour work week). Any overtime hours that you work above 40 hours per week are not included in the calculation to determine full-time employment.
Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirement by the final filing date unless otherwise noted.
All work experience, education, training, and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included in your application by the filing deadline.
Important Note: Please make sure it is absolutely clear in your application exactly how you meet the minimum qualifications. Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point during the recruitment and selection process. Please be aware that any misrepresentation of this information may disqualify you from this recruitment or future job opportunities. For more information, visit Verification of Experience and/or Education.
After application submission, candidates deemed qualified must complete all subsequent steps to advance in this selection process, which includes the following:
The selection process will include an evaluation of applications in relation to minimum requirements. Depending on the number of applicants, the Department may establish and implement additional screening mechanisms to comparatively evaluate the qualifications of candidates. If this becomes necessary, only those applicants whose qualifications most closely meet the needs of the Department will move forward in the recruitment process.
Minimum Qualification Supplemental Questionnaire (MQSQ):
Candidates may be required to complete an MQSQ as part of the employment application. This MQSQ is designed to obtain specific information regarding an applicant's experience in relation to the Minimum Qualifications (MQ) for this position. The MQSQ will be used to evaluate if the applicant possesses the required minimum qualifications.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement through all of the steps in the selection procedure.
What else should I know?
How to apply:
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are only accepted through an online process. Visit careers.sf.gov and begin the application process.
Our e-mail communications may come from more than one department so please make sure your email is set to accept messages from all of us at these links.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this recruitment therefore, it is their responsibility to contact the Analyst if they update their email address.
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
DPH Health Critical Requirements and Information: Please review the following policies regarding DPH employment requirements that safeguard yourself and others.
- COVID-19 Policies
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Medical Examination Prior to Hiring
- Electronic Health Record (EHR)
- Note on ICARE
Additional information regarding Employment with the City and County of San Francisco:
- Information about the Hiring Process
- Conviction History
- Employee Benefits Overview
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Disaster Service Workers
- Reasonable Accommodation
- Right to Work
- Copies of Application Documents
- Diversity Statement
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the analyst, Maggie Gonzalez Diaz at Margarita.email@example.com or 628-271-6834.
We may use text messaging to communicate with you if you include a mobile number in your application. The first message will ask you to opt in to text messaging.
The City and County of San Francisco encourages women, minorities and persons with disabilities to apply. Applicants will be considered regardless of their sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition (associated with cancer, a history of cancer, or genetic characteristics), HIV/AIDS status, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, military and veteran status, or other protected category under the law.