1450-Executive Secretary I
Know the class code?
Search by keyword:
Executive Secretary I
Current compensation plan
Effective: Jul 01, 2022
See Historic and future compensation information for this class
|Step:||Step 1||Step 2||Step 3||Step 4||Step 5|
CITY AND COUNTY OF SAN FRANCISCO
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Title: Executive Secretary I
Job Code: 1450
Under direction, an Executive Secretary I provides administrative secretarial services of a specialized and responsible nature for a member of executive management; may supervise a moderate sized group of clerical support staff; and performs related duties as required.
A position in class 1450 Executive Secretary I typically serves as personal secretary to a division head of a large, complex division, a deputy director of a large department, a department head of a small department or a comparable level executive. The secretary's supervisor must have a complex program responsibility, a considerable amount of responsible policy determination and frequent contact with policy making boards and Commissions as well as outside officials and agencies. Additionally, the supervisor must have delegated a substantial amount of administrative detail and non-routine work to the secretary.
MAJOR, IMPORTANT, AND ESSENTIAL DUTIES
According to Civil Service Commission Rule 109, the duties specified below are representative of the range of duties assigned to this job code/class and are not intended to be an inclusive list.
1. Types and edits letters, reports, statements, memoranda using computer software/systems and other material of a complex and difficult nature requiring a high degree of accuracy.
2. Organizes correspondence in accordance with standard procedures without instruction or review.
3. Performs responsible office work involving the exercise of considerable independent judgment decision making.
4. Alleviate supervisor of routine administrative matters.
5. Communicates and follow-up on tasks assigned from managers and executive personnel.
6. Screen telephone calls, and email correspondence; greet and direct which may require answering a variety of questions with considerable tact and judgment.
7. Maintains and arranges appointment calendar and travel arrangements.
8. Maintain a variety of files and records, including electronic and confidential files.
9. May provide additional support to other managers.
10. May assign and supervise the work of clerical staff.
11. May interpret administrative decisions and policies to departmental staff and the general public.
IMPORTANT AND ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Candidates will be tested in job related knowledge, skills and abilities including but not limited to:
Knowledge of: technical practices and procedures; knowledge of filing systems
Requires sufficient skill in: typing to complete 55 words per minute (WPM); computer and keyboarding skills; written and oral communication skills. May be required to take shorthand dictation or type from machine transcription.
Ability to: operate standard office equipment; independently compose correspondence; understand and follow directions; and proofread and solve problems and comprehend basic math.
These minimum qualifications establish the education, training, experience, special skills and/or license(s) which are required for employment in the classification. Please note, additional qualifications (i.e., special conditions) may apply to a particular position and will be stated on the exam/job announcement.
1. One (1) year of verifiable executive secretarial experience providing personal and confidential administrative support for a manager by arranging appointments and assisting in the preparation of meetings, responding to public inquiries, reviewing incoming documents, composing confidential correspondence, conducting research and preparing statistical reports. Job duties must be comparable to 1450 Executive Secretary I; OR
2. Three (3) years of verifiable secretarial experience encompassing editing and independently composing letters and other correspondence utilizing computer/software/systems; researching, compiling and organizing data for various reports; and maintaining office/record systems. Job duties must be comparable to 1446 Secretary II; OR
3. Four (4) years of verifiable clerical experience performing specialized assignments, including independently composing and editing correspondence; preparing and maintaining a wide variety of records, reports and documents; researching, compiling, analyzing and organizing data for various reports. Job duties must be comparable to 1406 Senior Clerk; AND
4. Ability to type 55 words per minute (WPM).
Substitution: A recognized secretarial training program of two hundred forty (240) hours OR the equivalent of fifteen (15) semester units in graded secretarial college units, may be substituted for up to six (6) months of the required experience. Proof of satisfactory completion must be submitted at the time of filing.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION
Certification: Completion from a recognized secretarial training program of two hundred forty (240) hours OR the equivalent of fifteen (15) semester units in graded secretarial college units.
To: 1452 Executive Secretary II
August 26, 1985
REASON FOR AMENDMENT: To accurately reflect the current tasks, knowledge, skills and abilities defined in the most recent job analysis conducted for this job code.
BUSINESS UNIT(S): COMMN SFCCD SFMTA SFUSD
Disaster service work
All City and County of San Francisco employees are designated Disaster Service Workers through state and local law (California Government Code Section 3100-3109). Employment with the City requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all Disaster Service Worker-related training as assigned, and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency.
Historic and future compensation
|Effective (Sched)||Step 1||Step 2||Step 3||Step 4||Step 5|
|Jul 01, 2022 (W)||$38.6250||$40.5500||$42.5875||$44.7000||$46.9625|
|Jan 08, 2022 (V)||$36.7000||$38.5250||$40.4625||$42.4750||$44.6250|
|Jul 01, 2021 (U)||$36.5125||$38.3375||$40.2625||$42.2625||$44.4000|
|Dec 26, 2020 (T)||$35.2750||$37.0375||$38.9000||$40.8250||$42.8875|
|Jul 01, 2020 (S)||$34.2500||$35.9625||$37.7625||$39.6375||$41.6375|
Historic compensation data is provided in hourly pay.